Should I be concerned?

I have a 15-yr-old daughter who takes piano lessons from a male teacher (in his late 20's I would guess). Yesterday, I picked her up from her lesson and asked her how it went. She said "fine," then after a few seconds said "Oh, I saw my teacher's thong." I was like, "What?!" Then she started to giggle uncontrollably. When she finally calmed down, she explained that when her teacher was bending over in his chair to get some papers out of a filing cabinet she saw the top of his thong underwear sticking out of his pants. I'll admit I had to chuckle a bit myself when I heard the story. But then I wondered if I should be at all concerned about the possibility that this guy could actually be exposing his underwear on purpose to his students. I've heard of women doing this to get attention from men, but never the other way around! I don't even know why a man would want to wear a thong. The only reason I ever wear one is to avoid panty lines. So I don't know what to think about this piano teacher anymore. It's not like he's a cross-dresser or anything. Every time I see him, he's wearing nice decent looking clothing. Maybe this was just purely an accident. So I could just let it go and do nothing. My first reaction after I thought about it was to discontinue lessons and find a new teacher. Or, I could have a talk with this guy about not letting his THONG underwear be seen by teenage girls. I guess the other thing I could do is have a talk with my daughter to see if anything else weird is going on in lessons. However, I don't want her to unnecessarily get the impression that her piano teacher is some creepy pedophile and make her paranoid. At this point, she just thinks it's funny that he wears "man thongs," as she calls them. So if you have any thoughts, please post. All advice will be greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• maybe he's a wolf in sheep's clothing. maybe he likes to dress that way underneath. lol shoot i dunno. but i would just make sure ur daughter knows that she needs to tell u the moment she feels freaked out or if he does something inappropriate. but that's funny. hahaha a banana hammack!! lol
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If he was wearing boxers and she saw those when he bent over would you be this concerned?
    BetcCarter

Answer by BetcCarter at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm thinking he's gay... Just a guess,lol. Just tell him she saw it, and that it was a concern for you. I'm sure if he's a decent human being he will apologize, and pull his pants up,lol...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i wouldnt be concerned as long as he hasnt done anything else then it was probably just an accident. thongs do tend 2 show when people bend over lol
    ciaras_mom_05

Answer by ciaras_mom_05 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• it sounds like it was a pure accident..and im sure they would be both be super embarassed if you were to say anything i would probably just mention to her about some men being fresh or flirty and let her know you are not really concerned but that if anything were to happen that its ok to talk with you about it
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Late 20's? if he's like my OS he probably didn't do the laundry and all he had that day was a joke thong someone bought him. Same type of thing happen to my son. His friends were all over that one. He didn't live it down for quite a while. I would make a general comment like you know dear if anyone should make you feel uncomfortable remember you can always tell me. Then keep a close eye. To do anything else at this time could cause more harm then good, for all parties.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm guessing he would be completely embarrassed to know anyone knew he wore thongs. Doesn't sound like something someone would want to show off. I would ask her if there was anything else amiss there, and if she felt comfortable taking lessons from him in general.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 12:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think he could have not purposley done this, but predators can be male or female... maybe in his case both. Who knows. He may like tha feeling of a thong. For some reason people who are stylis like those stupid skinny pants. so its nearly impossible to wear anything under them... i mean he could aslo be gay too.. you never know! I would just chalk it up to a good chuckle. I mean have you ever bent over and had your underwear hang out? I know I have and people point it out when it does happen, its kind of embaressing. I prolly wouldnt say anything... at least not unless its reoccuring, and seeming intentional...
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 11:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011