What makes you proud to be an American?

I'm proud that we are allowed civil rights and the freedom to express ourselves (within reason).

Imogine

Asked by Imogine at 12:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I am with ya, civil rights and all the freedoms we have that sometimes some take for granted. This is why I fight for equality, it can and should be acquired.

Answer by older at 12:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Freedom♥ & I'm proud that sooo many Americans risk their lives to give us that freedom.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'm proud to be a country that stood up and fought for what they believed in. I'm proud that for such a "young" country, America has surpassed so much and has adapted well with each generation, and is still the most powerful country in the world. I also agree with your reasons.
    Anonymous

• The right to rock a mullet in my jorts while chugging a Natty Light in my neon pink coozie.

At walmart.
    EgoTryptophan

Answer by EgoTryptophan at 12:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Our freedoms!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• LEGAL immigrants who get all tearful at hearing our national anthem.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Lots of things! I'm proud to be a Vietnam Vet's daughter. Even though I've heard it a few million times, I still get chills down my spine and tears in my eyes when I hear our national anthem and see our beautiful flag blowing in the wind. I'm thankful that I was allowed to get a good education and that every other person is given that right, too. I'm proud that I married the man I fell in love with as opposed to an agreement made between 2 families who force their children to marry. I'm thankful I was able to give birth to 3 darling little girls in a clean hospital. I'm so glad I was thrilled to have those 3 girls instead of having to abort them in hopes of having one son like they do in other countries. I'm so proud that I can vote and am able to say I've voted in every single election since I turned 18. Too many people focus on the bad, they should open their eyes to see all the good.
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You can get up each morning and know that YOU are in charge of your day, be it a good one or a bad one. YOU call the shots and not some government minder that you might offend by speaking your mind or daring to travel out of your area. That you can go to sleep at night knowing the Constitution and Amendments protect you from unlawful search and seizure and worse in the middle of the night. That if you don't like something, you are allowed to protest and otherwise work to change what you do not like and if you can convince enough people, which you are allowed to do freely, you can make those changes. That you can pursue your comfort level to whatever degree you choose and not be called to task because you are outside of some "government norm".
    annabarred

Answer by annabarred at 1:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am proud that for the most part we are compassionate and generous people; have the ability to look beyond ourselves and see the bigger picture-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am proud of what this country has the potential to be. As far as freedoms...we have more than some and less than others
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 3:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011