Why is it that people are so quick to help people from other countries(donations) but when it comes to helping folks here in the good ol' USA,they turn their noses up?

Do they think ,"hey,they're American,they should be able to care for themselves!"?
Do they think that foreigners are less(fill in the blank) so they need our help?

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with you butterfly..
    I don't think any child should go hungry & I think it hurts to see the kids on the commercials starving..
    But why in the world can't we feed our country first?
    & they had that special.. if you buy a laptop, a kid in Africa gets one too... Why can't another kid in the US get one too?
    I'm not racist by any means, but I think our country should support our country first.

*Lets say your children are starving & you have one bowl of rice.. & the neighbor kids are hungry too.. Who would you feed first? Your kids..your country.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I do not think this is the case, people here get help all the time through private organizations or government, I don't agree with you.

Answer by older at 12:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't think it's the case either.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Superr, children to be adopted here have a much better life than children to be adopted anywhere else, maybe this is why she chose to do this. And op, I see celebrities going on tv and asking for donations all the time, specially through spanish tv, just because you don't see it does not mean it does not happen.

Answer by older at 12:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Most of the poor overseas has no help from the government, even when our government send them a lot of money overseas "to help the people" it never gets spend on the people!

Here in the state the poor have food, shelter, food stamps, even cell phones
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think they think hey they are Americans, we are already giving them all they need through social government run programs coming out of our pay checks, so they dont need anything else. I think if the government got there noses out of everything you would see more charity from Americans to Americans.
    -LovingMamma-

Answer by -LovingMamma- at 12:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Because in the grand scheme of things...people in the US have a luxurious life...even the poor ones.

Personally though..I give more to US faith based charities than anyone else. Catholic Charities is high on my list because most of the money actually goes to help..not sucked up by the management/operations....AND anyone is eligible for their services.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

I agree with this ^^^^^^^
    Also there are sooooo many more resources available here than there are in other countries. I have no problem donating to the US or abroad.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 1:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't agree with the premise of your question. However, I do focus on helping children in third-world countries over those in the US. Why? Because those countries do not have the social systems we have and children there will be in orphanages without food and later put on the streets to support themselves at ages as young as 12. So, to summarize, I support kids in the US first, by paying my taxes. Beyond that, I choose to donate to third-world countries.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Again, I agree with you Butterfly. I give Kudos to Angelina Jolie.. but why couldn't she have adopted one of the millions of children in the US?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011