How to deal with others who question why your not pregnant while TTC?

We've all met them... They have good intentions and eagerly ask, "When are you going to start having children?" Believe me... You don't have to talk me into having children. I'm trying! lol I walked into a room excited to collect paperwork I needed to receive a raise I've earned. The office staff was like, "Oh... I thought the exciting news would be a prenancy." How do you deal with this? It's like I'm at a place in my marriage where people expect a baby pronto! The more time that passes while TTC, the harder this will get. They all mean well... Typically, the "Where's the baby?" question comes from loved ones. I want to be prepared with a nice answer next time I'm asked.

Ash09855

Asked by Ash09855 at 12:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• it took me 5yrs to get preggo and even tho it bothered me when ppl asked i would just simply say when the time it right it will happen there is no rush
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i've got three girls and i always get asked when are you going to have a boy? i just reply when the good lord wants me too that's when i'll have one. and yes it does get annoying after awhile.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 12:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It is hard - and it's really hard when you're trying and not getting anywhere fast. DH and I went through 4 years and fertility treatments before we gave up...and then got surprised by a pregnancy, ;)

When asked, however, my answer would depend on who was asking. If it was someone I was close to I'd be honest and say "We'd love to have a baby but at the moment it's not really working for us. We're working with a specialist though so hopefully -- cross your fingers for us and say a prayer!"

To someone we weren't close to I'd smile sweetly and say "Someday" or "Whenever that baby decides to show up, we'll be ready."

To someone that was just really annoying me by being an obnoxious, pushy SOB about it I'd come up with something sarcastic to say like "I'm waiting for you to go first." or "Right now I'm too busy plotting world domination."
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Idmrmom... That's funny! I'm waiting for you to go first! lol
    Ash09855

Comment by Ash09855 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011