Is it strange that I take 1 vacation a year with out my husband?

The kids and I spend one week a year w/my mother. My husband is working the week we are gone. I have been at my job for 14 years so I get about 28 days of vacation, so I can't always spend all of my time off with him b/c he just doesn't have as much. Everyone just looks at me strange when I say he is not coming.

We don't go on a cruise or anything, we go to my mom's house and take the kids to the zoo, an amusement park near where she lives, parks, so she can spend quality time with the kids and we can get out of town.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 12:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've gone off on my own & my DH has done things on his own. Usually that is for weekends, but it is the same. One person has more time off or a certain opportunity or it's something where the other person is just not interested. I think you are wording it wrong. It is a "vacation" if you are going to the beach & there will be gorgeous men bringing you drinks & giving you pedicures. It is a vacation if it is at least you & your mom take a cruise. What you are doing is taking the kids to their grandmother's for a week. You are doing stuff that is kid & grandmom centered, not you centered. It is not something where your DH is missing out.
    Verrine

Answer by Verrine at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• To me it would be strange because we do everything together but if it works for you why not?

Answer by older at 12:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No, I think it sounds nice. I have friends that go on all girl vacations, my Hubby would have a problem with that, but not one with family.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not strange at all.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 12:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't think it is strange in the least.
    8Tinkerboo8

Answer by 8Tinkerboo8 at 12:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i think its great you can go and spend that time with your mom..im sure she totally enjoys it..i could do it too but im sure everyone would be asking me the same questions
    jorjiegirl

Answer by jorjiegirl at 12:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• an all girl vacation sounds great! my husband wouldn't have a problem with that, I should plan one of those too.
    Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 12:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't think it's strange - my husband would be happy he didn't have to visit my mom. LOL But, for me, if it wasn't me visiting family I wouldn't want to take a vacation without my husband, I really do enjoy spending time with him.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It would only be strange (to me) if he's upset that you take that week of fun without him. If he's more than happy to have the house to himself for a week, no, I don't think it's strange. I wish I could take a mini-vacation alone once a year.
    Anonymous

• nothing wrong with it i think
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011