I am a strong believer in my sons waiting til they are 16 to start dating girls does anyone feel the same?

JLMOM3BOYS

Asked by JLMOM3BOYS at 12:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Follow your instincts, having rules demonstrated principles. Regardless of what others think, its your rule so stick to it. Personally, I think 16 is a good age to start giving them an introduction to relationships. Younger than that its too much to handle if its allowed to get too serious, and they are not emotionally equipt to handle it, and often make some bad decisions. If they think 16's the rule and they know not to ask before it, you buy yourself some peace !!
    Momof315126

Answer by Momof315126 at 4:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not only 16, but they must have their drivers licence and a job. the only exception is school dances.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't think anyone is saying keeping them away from the opposite sex (or the same if that's what they are attracted too). They are opposing the idea of "dating"....being a boyfriend/girlfriend, an item, or whatever you want to call it and having dates where it's just the 2 of them, etc. It's totally possible to hang out with friends of both genders and not be "dating".
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Great idea! or LATER!!
    i see dating as picking out your spouse,not as recreation

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't agree..
    Keeping them away from the opposite sex.. doesn't mean they aren't going to do it..
    It just means they aren't going to tell you. JMO.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Agree and fully intend for this to be the rule in my household. This is how it was in my house growing up, and i felt completely comfortable talking to my mother growing up about everything. if i liked a boy before i was 16 i would still tell my mother and we would talk about everything. just because she said i couldnt date till i was 16 it didnt make me not come to here wiht everything.
    2breath2live

Answer by 2breath2live at 12:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've always strongly suggested my boys wait to date, I never set an age limit. I just remind them that dating comes with a lot of headache sometimes, that its best to enjoy themselves with friends and sports and focus on school and not worry about dating. I tell them that there is plenty of time to date and worry about a long term relationship, but for now enjoy yourself. I also talk a lot about the importance of finding yourself first, knowing what you want so the person you're with is a compliment to you and your personality and visa versa...
    My oldest decided this year to ask a girl to a dance and from there they have been "dating", she is at my house one or two nights a week to watch movies with us. It took him three months to ask her out because he wanted to make sure he got to know her, that they had things in common and similar goals. It's worked for us to not forbid but to strongly suggest. :)
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As someone that has successfully raised teenagers that didn't date until after turning 16, they didn't go out and party and have sex behind our backs, it can be done! We have an open, honest relationship with all of our children. We do go to church, we have instilled moral values in them and they have followed our morals values and house rules. We've had them actually come home rather than stay at a party where there was under aged drinking, smoking, drug use, and sex. And one our our children actually was the one that called the cops on the party because the behavior was becoming destructive and he was afraid someone was going to get hurt. Or worse, get behind the wheel of a car and drive!

So, it is NOT unreasonable to expect your children to wait til date. But be open and honest and talk to them about why to wait on sex, dating, etc.
    Anonymous

• Yes I agree!
    kyheavensmom

Answer by kyheavensmom at 12:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Personally I don't care what gender the child is I think dating needs to wait post high school.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011