Installing new cabinets

Have you remodeled and took out old cabinets and put up new ones?
Did you have to put up new drywall before putting up the new cabinets?

my sister has had the same cabinets for 30 yrs and bought new ones. I told her my dh would do it and he said he's not sure if they need new walls or not.
He says the walls are not as strong as they once were and might not hold new cabinets.
I know they do not realize this and will be ticked if they have to get new walls.
What are your opinions?

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 12:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We removed old and put up new cabinets in our kitchen. It's not the drywall that holds them so that doesn't matter. What matters are the studs. If they are in good shape, which they should be, then the drywall shouldn't need to be replaced. If the drywall is a mess, and all cracked etc, then for cosmetic reasons it could be replaced. We replaced 36 sheets of drywall in our home when we moved in, but it wasn't because it wouldn't hold things up, it was because it was full of holes, and looked horrible..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You anchor the cabinet rails in the studs, not the walls, and the cabinets into the rails. The drywall is only an issue if you switch to smaller cabinets.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 12:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We considered it at our old house, but ended up just painting before we sold because it was going ot be a nightmare.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 1:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We put new cabinets in a house we were buying once. We didnt have to replace the walls. The studs were perfectly strong enough to hold the cabinets. They looked great and we had no issues once the cabinets were up. The house was older, and I believe the walls under the cabinets were original with the house.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As long as the studs behind the walls are structurally sound, sheet rock behind cabinets isn't seen and doesn't need replacing.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If the drywall is in really good condition ad does n ot appear to be weak, then you can probably leave it.
    ceciliam

Answer by ceciliam at 6:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I believe it depends on the studs, too.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Haven't but would love to.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 5:15 PM on Jul. 14, 2011