Christmas Lights for dd's room?

My dd is 6 and she just got her very own bedroom. No more sharing. She loves it and plays in it all the time. But she confessed to me something we had suspected if she is getting up at night and watching TV in the livingroom because she is scared of the dark.

Anyway I see alot of people who hang Christmas lights in their bedrooms and I think much of the problem with dd is she is scared of the dark,. I cant run her lamp all night its too bright. Do you think adding a couple strands of christmas lights around her room would help?

Asked by gemgem at 12:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you can also take her and have her pick out a night light of her favorite character or something and put in her room; that is what we did and my boys loved it because they were involved in picking out what they liked and the nightlight didn't light up the entire house
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 1:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It could be worth a shot. I used to love christmas lights in my room. Still would!
    Anonymous

• Sure, lots of kids have them in their rooms (and if you leave them up year round you can call them fairy lights instead of Christmas lights - perfect for a little girl) (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 12:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's a great idea. Our son has them and loves them, gives the room a twilight look.
    daps

Answer by daps at 12:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• that would be great.. i run my daughters lamp all night so this idea helps, rope lights are my favorite. good luck.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 12:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It is normal for a child who has never slept in a room alone before to feel a little anxious at first. A small strand of twinkle lites or patio lites may make her more comfortable - being able to see in the room, so it is less dark and scary. You may even find a decorative string that adds to the decor.

If you decide to add these, or a nite lite, don't get the blue LED kind. These lights can cause sleeplessness, in that they block our bodies' ability to produce sleep inducing melatonin. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 12:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011