I am going to homeschool our middle son due to learning challenges, does anyone homeschool that can answer my MANY questions?

JLMOM3BOYS

Asked by JLMOM3BOYS at 12:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in

• are you member in the school group? i can't remember her name but their is a woman on there that is a homeschool mom that will gladly answer your questions. when i first joined she helped me out with dealing with the schools for getting my oldest tested. but if you want to you can ask me the questions and i will tell you if i can or can't answer them. i was planning on putting my girls in homeschool too. and depending on how they act in school this year i might still do it.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No Im new to this cafe mom!
    JLMOM3BOYS

Comment by JLMOM3BOYS (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Be careful if you go to the big homeschool group. Over 9k members yet I waited 2 days for a reply with nothing and when I commented on it I got a VERY snippy lady answering me RIGHT AWAY. It seems you have to be in their 'club' to warrant replies.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 1:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Feel free to send me a message if you'd like, my husband and I are both homeschool graduates and will homeschool our children. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have, and I've got tons of relevant bookmarks I'd be happy to share.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 1:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• There are other forums and social sites that are JUST for homeschooling Moms. Honestly you'll do better there at that other site then trying to connect with anyone here on this site. Google Homeschool Moms and you'll find other sites and resources that will be helpful. Also check out your local library for homeschooling books. Read Them. Learn the laws in YOUR state! Every state has it's own laws! Yes over all the other moms like to be helpful and will be helpful, but at the same time they do get burned out answering the same questions over and over again. So do try to read and research first.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would be happy to help you out in any way I can. I agree with PP, the homeschooling groups here on CM aren't really that helpful.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Scout mom do you homeschool?
    JLMOM3BOYS

Comment by JLMOM3BOYS (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Octobersmom - I'm in the group you speak of and I've never seen that there. Most questions seem to get answered right away - and without attitude. Maybe you should give it another try.

OP - What kind of questions do you have?
    Anonymous

• My main question is Where do I start ?
    JLMOM3BOYS

Comment by JLMOM3BOYS (original poster) at 11:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Start by learning your state laws. You can find them here:

http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp

Then the fun research part begins. Get books out of the library. The HSLDA site has info on homeschooling basics. You'll find TONS of information online. It can be overwhelming, but you can look into different methods and curriculums. If your child has certain disorders or "challenges" as you call them (I'm sorry, no offense meant or anything, I'm just somewhat clueless about different terms used and what would qualify as your child's challenges), maybe look up whatever that is and homeschooling to see what information is out there regarding specifics for your child.

You can also look on yahoo groups for groups in your area and maybe find people you can talk to in person.

PS There are several homeschooling groups here on CM and most of the ones I'm in I've found everyone to be quite helpful. :) Give them a try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:20 AM on Jul. 14, 2011