2 months and not responding to sounds

my husband and i where playing with our 2 1/2 month old last night and for the first time we realized she was not responding to the sound of our voice or any other sound we made or that her older brother was making. i got worried any my husband said its nothing, but that i should keep working on it. well while he was at PT this morning he was talking with a friend and told him about it he said we should go have it checked out as soon as we can. my mom said that when she was watching her there was nothing she could see last month, that she would cry when she would quit talking to her. but still today i cant get her to look at me when i am talking to her or her brother my 3 year old is talking to her. big sounds like my son dropping something on the floor that shack the house she can seem jump but not the normal every day ones. should i be worried?

Manda_Evans

Asked by Manda_Evans at 12:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't they do hearing test for every baby at the hospital before they go home? This is what I think they do, why don't you find out what those results were, and take it from there...

Answer by older at 12:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Get a referral from her doctor and have her hearing tested.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Just call your pediatrician or health dept and schedule a hearing screening.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i would think if they seen something wrong at the hospital they would have told me she was 5 weeks early so was monitored a lot
    Manda_Evans

Comment by Manda_Evans (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Just take her in and get her look at. It could be nothing and she's just not responding to normal everyday sounds because they are normal everyday sounds.--it could be her mood.... She could have an ear infection that is distorting her hearing. Yes it's totally possible to have an ear infection and have NO OTHER symptoms like fever, tugging ears, etc. The ONLY way to know is to have a doctor look at her. NO ONE over the internet will be able to help you.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Does she startle to loud sounds. Like Older said, a lot of states do newborn hearing screens. It could be something as simple as earwax. I'd have it evaluated.
    BrashB

Answer by BrashB at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• By all means call your doctor is you are worried but turning towards sound is not a milestone until 3-6 months. LINK

But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• and if she was 5 weeks early you would need to take that into consideration as well when looking at milestones!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'd get her checked, if for nothing else but your peace of mind. The DR. is there for you, you pay him for his advise and his Services, and you need him now. Call, don't put it off and drive yourselves crazy with worry, and if it is a hearing problem then the Dr's can deal with it now or when they feel it's the right time. Hopefully it's nothing. :)
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They do hearing tests at the hospital... The baby either passes or doesn't . For piece of mind though, I would get her checked
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011