Is it true... (for jehovah's witnesses)

that a jehovah's witness will not attend a baby shower of someone if that person isn't married? see my daughter is having her first baby and she isn't married, and to be honest i dont' want her to be, but her grandmother is a jehovah's witness and when she told her about the shower, her grandmother stated that because she isn't married she cannot attend the shower, its against jehovah's rules. I would like to know if that is true or not. i'm not with my ex anymore and its always been somewhat bad between my ex mil and me but i'm wondering if she is doing this because of my family side being there.

lucky35

Asked by lucky35 at 1:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• What Ladybugkisses76 said... I was raised JW. And we went to quite a few babyshowers where the mother wasn't married. In fact, my mother, who is a JW, threw mine... It's an individual thing. Many believe that supporting single mothers in that way is supporting the idea of sex before marriage, and therefore won't do it. But many others aren't so uptight... Like every other faith, there are those who are conservative, and those who are not.

Just as another example, my Aunt, who is JW, runs a charity for rape & sexual slavery victims, but she also works with groups that help teen moms get educations, homes and whatever they need to properly care for their baby.

I can give many examples of the JWs I know who are willing to support unwed pregnant women or mothers... And many of those who are not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I had family who refused to have contact with me or my children after learning I was unwed when my eldest was born- they are not JWs. Just assholes.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 1:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I was a former Witness and yes Witnesses do celebrate the births for babies, school graduations, weddings and anniversaries - however to answer the question at hand it would be up to the actual person who was invited and what their conscience actually allows them. When I was a practicing Witness I bought many of co-workers baby shower gifts and even family member who weren't married to their child's father. Hope this helps.
    Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 1:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am not one, but have family members who are, never heard about the unwed thing, but I am told constantly that they do not attend celebrations of any kind.

Answer by older at 1:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• As a former one when I lived at home. Yes it is true. Yes some will go but really they should not. They are not suppose to go to a non witness's gatherings. If it is someone who is a witness they still would not go. They do not believe in sex before marriage and would look down at it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sounds like Granny's got a bug up her butt.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't think that's true..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• thanks. its funny how they choose which things to do because right now she has her unmarried son and his girlfriend and their kids living with them now.
    lucky35

Comment by lucky35 (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It's true. Also, when my daddy died, two of his grandsons who are JWs wouldn't come to his funeral because they didn't "believe" in it. Strange bunch if you ask me.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My dh has a few relatives who are Jehovah's Witnesses, and they would not come to our engagement party because we were 'living in sin.' They even called to give me an earful about exactly why they would not participate because they disagreed with our lifestyle choices and so on and so forth. However, as Sabrina points out, I don't think this is a dictate of the faith, it's just a matter of how they chose to apply it. And it's unfortunate, because at that point dh cut off contact with them... later on they wanted to resume a relationship with him and he had less than no interest in that.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 12:07 AM on Jul. 14, 2011