What can I expect and how do I prepare for a puppy going into heat

This is my first female dog....I am clueless

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 1:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pets

• @Anouck--some of us breed our pets and do NOT want them spayed right away. Same here. I have a 2yr old Miniature Dach female and I want atleast one litter from her. I love her and I believe she is dying to experience being a mother. She goes into heat...I use the diaper when she's in because she WILL drip little droplets of blood on your floors, furniture etc. They come off when she's out and no other dogs can get to her to breed her.
    I see her nurturing her brother (same age-FIXED) like he's a puppy...licking and cleaning him, cleaning his ears, his face and neck...I think she's ready to be a mother atleast once. Miniature Dachshunds are easy to sell or find homes for. I love my pups...so sweet!!
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 8:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'd say the easiest way to handle it is to get the puppy spayed before she goes into heat.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• she may whine more, hump items, drip blood or wander off of you aren't watching. they make little 'diapers' for dogs in heat so they don't drip on the carpet. If you are not planning on breeding I would consider spaying her. It can be a pain in the neck for you to have a dog going in and out of heat and it is healthier for her in long run. the more cycles they grow through the higher their risk of mamory cancer and pyometra ( uterine infection).
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you'd get your puppy spayed, you wouldn't have to worry about it.... There are enough unwanted dogs in the world already. Having said that, signs are:
    * Her vulva will swell
    * She may have vaginal discharge
    * Her behavior will change, excessive licking, urinating more, holding her tail to the side, "presenting" to male dogs (turning her butt towards them). Oh, and male dogs will flock to her

Seriously, get her fixed. Much easier.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree with getting her fixed unless you want to breed.

Answer by older at 1:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree with all of the above, and unless you want to deal with doggy diapers and a pad, time to spay.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Spaying your pet is the only responsible decision. Its better for the dog, you and the over population of unwanted pets.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 2:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• she is a purebreed so one liter of puppies would be fine with me
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you want to get 1 litter through her, get the doggie diapers to get through this heat, and breed her next heat (assuming she's under a year old). If you have a large fenced in area that she can't get out of and other dogs can't get into, keep her outside as much as you can - our female is outside 24/7 when she's in heat and we've never had any issue with male dogs even coming in the yard.
    Anonymous