How often do you get the stomach bug?

So in march, I came down with what I think was a stomach bug, I'm still not sure, I ate a whole bunch of junk food, including stale bread, coating chocolate, and other icky stuff, and I woke up at 3. am and vomited until about 9 a.m, felt nauseous for a few more hours, and then my stomach began to growl later that day, I still felt a little bad , but I wasn't horrible. By that night I was feeling good again,and no one around me caught the bug. Is there a way to tell if it was food poisoning? Over eating at night? or a bug?

I haven't thrown up in 9 years, so this freaked me out, and now i'm so scared it will happen again. How often does one get the stomach bug? Is there a chance I may not get the bug for another 9 years if it was? How can I prevent getting sick , when someone in my family is? I just hope I never get this again..Let me know your insight please!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Health

• my dh use to get it every year and at least 2 times or more. I made him start getting the flu shot 3 years ago and he has only gotten sick once in the 3 years. My girls have gotten the shot since 6 months of age and they are 6 and 3 and get sick more than once a year. This year was the first time I was sick since my oldest was 6 months old. I get a flu shot as well every year and have since I had our first dd. But I usually don't get sick but maybe once every 6 years. I think it was cause I am pregnant and when you are pregnant you catch everything. My kids were sick then dh and I both got sick the same day so it was hard cause neither one of us could get out of bed and we had 2 kids to attend too and noone to watch them
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I usually don't get sick & can't remember the last time I had a cold or flu, or stomach bug type thing, my kids (I have 5) catch stuff and so does my dh but my only problem is my allergies and if I don't take my allergy meds then I get sinus infections really easy, but as far as everything else I usually don't catch and I will be elbow deep in vomit but I wash my hands a lot and usually don't touch my face so maybe that is why I don't catch it as easy as the rest.
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I use to get it every year for years when I worked with the public. Lately I haven't since I'm retired. Just something going around and you pick it up. WASH YOUR HANDS and besides that not much you can do if it's in the air. I always seemed to get mine in the fall months, and I was like you, I hate to throw up. BUT, I had a very good S/O and he always took over with the kids and I just shut the bedroom door for 24 hrs and was just plain SICK. Once we had food poisoning, our son too, I thought for 3 days we were going to die we were so sick. Thankfully our son wasn't as sick as we were, that's the sickest we have ever been. Lets hope you and we go another 9 years.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Honestly, I don't remember ever having it before I was pregnant or had young kids, but now maybe 2-4 tiems a year (not always throwing up, but...). One or another of my kids will get it at least that often.

I'm pretty sure that it will disappear as the kids get older.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Oh, I'm sure we share it because the kids share food and drinks, like they will share a sippy cup or something, and always try to drink from my water cup.

We know it's not food poisoning because one will get it, then 2 days later another, then 2 days later...
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011