What am I doing wrong with my cookies?

Every time I make cookies they turn out flat and floppy. I've tried adding more flour and then they're just flat and brittle or cake-like. I follow recipes to a T. What am I doing wrong?

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 1:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Maybe try baking soda or baking powder if they are flat.. good luck. Also, maybe you need to buy self raising flour
    Annabelle2020

Answer by Annabelle2020 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• maybe you are mixing them to much.
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 1:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Make sure the butter isn't too soft and the cookie sheet isn't hot.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Are you using real butter, stick margarine, or shortening? Are you using white or brown sugar? Don't use self-rising flour, whatever you do. But the kind of grease & the kind of sugar make a difference - I know shortening makes them puffiest but is gross IMO, and real butter will thin them out - stick margarine is somewhere in the middle. Also white sugar spreads out more - brown holds together better.
    Anonymous

• Do you live in a higher altitude? I do so I always add a little extra baking powder to my cookies & they come out fluffy and thick.
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 3:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2011

• Wouldn't they be tough and the dough stiff, then?
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Hmm... The recipes always say all purpose, but I could try that maybe some day. More leavening might be the ticket.
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• possibly the humidity level. my mom has made the same browinie mix for years. once in a while if the humidity is very high, they will not turn out right. look up humidity and baking, you will find info on how to adjust receipes depending on the humidity levels.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 1:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If your baking powder or soda is old, it isn't as effective. Make sure all your ingredients are fresh.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It sounds like your dough is too warm when you start baking. Try wrapping it or covering it (with no air inside so there's no condensation) and put them in the fridge for a half hour before you try to spoon it onto the sheets.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011