Does this mean I'm starting to have a drug/alcohol problem??

I've been dealing with horrible anxiety and the beginnings of depression for a while, and lately I've been getting the urge to self-medicate.

I'm at the point where I want to have a few glasses of wine at night, just to relax...and maybe take a pain killer or two. I know this isn't right, and I usually stop myself. I'm worried that I may be starting to go down the road of drug/alcohol addictions, but it might just be the anxiety making me get worried over nothing.

If I bring it up to my doctor, I'm worried that it will be something I will regret for the rest of my life. So I just want someone else's opinion... Does the urge to drink mean you're beginning to have a problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Health

• *hugs* I have those same urges but only with the drinking. Can they put you in anti anxiety meds? I would let the DR know you are having anxiety issues before the drug drinking issues.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Don't regret it, You def, should bring to your doctor.Especially the pain pills.
    baquick

Answer by baquick at 1:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• my sister in law is going through the same thing. Now she is getting the help that she needs. It almost tore her family apart. Please get help. Before you are in the same boat that she is in,
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 1:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It *could* brining it up to your doctor is NOTHING you could regret. anything you say is confidential and they will be able to help you come up with a plan to help you cope without self medicating. this may mean anti- depressants or seeing a therapist but those things are helpful!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would say yes, you are. But you recognized the problem and that is the majority of the healing process. Mostly, I would seek help from your doctor for the reasons why you feel you need to feel different or alter your mood. GB and GL.
    Anonymous

• I voted everyone up.. they have said it all! Do not be ashamed and asked for Help..
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 1:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Well it does sound like your on the way to the wrong road, the good news is YOU REALIZE IT. I'd talk with your Dr and he will give you the correct meds you need to help you and they won't cause you to be drug/alcohol dependent. Get the help you need now and then you won't regregret it later in your life, and you'll also be a happier person with your meds. I'm on meds for depression and they do help, so call your Dr. and don't destroy your life, NOT CALLING is what will destroy your life.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 1:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You should NEVER regret telling your Doctor anything, their not there to judge, their there to help you, please speak to someone, it doesn't sound like a serious problem, but you'll feel better just talking to someone qualified about it, maybe they can prescribe you something that will help you relax without the need for a few glasses of wine, hope you feel better soon.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 1:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Go see your Dr about the depression / Anxiety... They can help you diagnose.

monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I want to say yes it sounds like it but just the fact that you see this as a possible problem , that makes me see you don't want to go down that road and are trying to fight it, hun talk to your dr they can help you.. I have seen drugs and alcohol tear my family and my dh's side of the family apart..
    momto4girzls

Answer by momto4girzls at 1:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011