Carseats & bases

question about carseats and bases - they're kind of brand specific? or are they model specific?

like if my in-laws have a X base for a X model and I get the same brand but a different model - will the bases work?

and do bases grow with you? from infant to child seat? where you just switch out the seat but keep the base?

Felixkitty

Asked by Felixkitty at 1:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I believe they're usually model specific, so a different model would not work even if it was the same brand. But I'm not 100% sure about that.

They only work with infant carriers, to the best of my knowledge. All other seats (convertible and up) are buckled directly into the car. Most infant carriers can be, too, so it's not usually a huge deal if someone doesn't have a base.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• bases are just for infant seat and it should be teh same as long as the brand is and its not many years difference
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Bases are only for infant seats. They do not grow with you. You cannot get a different model base for a different model seat.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They are specific to the model in most cases... their might be some brands that use the same base for several of their infant seats, but I think in most cases if you have a specific seat it needs that exact base.
    Bases are only for bucket seats... after they are done with those you no longer use a base.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• NICE! Thanks everyone!
    Felixkitty

Comment by Felixkitty (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011