Rent your own house to move to a better school area, bad credit? Does it worth it?

I have two kids and own a house in a not very good neighborhood: the middle school concerns me and high school is very scary (bad behaviors and bad grades). I am thinking on renting out this house and move to a good school area, but the problem is rents there are more expensive than in this area and our credit score is in bad shape. We'd need a good amount of money to move safely. Do you think this will be a good idea, any of you have done something like this? I don't really want my kids growing in this enviroment...

fairymom526

Asked by fairymom526 at 1:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I would consider homeschooling.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We are in the same boat. We pay to send them to catholic school in a better area.
    Anonymous

• why not try to get them into the school you want them in....Obviously, you'd have to drive them.
    But, it's better than renting your house out.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You can check into transferring them to another school, but you will have to drive them each day. Or, you can compare the cost of renting/moving to the cost of private school, then do whichever is cheaper. In any event, getting your kids into a better school is worth it. Absolutely.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 2:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• In our area, you can't go to a different school district. You have to live there. I know, I tried. Even if you are willing to pay.
    Anonymous

• Is it worth finding a way to get a better school option for your child? yes.

I'd first ask about attending out of district. I know our school district will allow out of town families to attend our schools for a small tuition fee to compensate for the property tax they are not paying into the system. Compared to private schools it's comparable or less than what you'd pay in our area. There is no busing, though so the parent would have to provide transportation.

Check into private school costs in your area too. Is it better to pay than to maintain one property and rent another?

To the original point, when DH and i looked for houses 14 years ago, we ruled out areas based on school districts. We selected a house we liked although even though there was one we liked slightly more because it went to a better school than the other. Good luck!
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you want to rent and you have bad credit, steer clear of companies. Rental corporations always run credit checks. Renting from an individual is always better. They verify income and references only, no credit checks. They also typically value their investment and take better care of the property. I won't deal with corporations; I have seen too many slum lords, and they raise your rent every year. I tend to move every few years so I like to rent. Currently, I have a beautiful house in the country I am renting for a steal because the couple who own it want a tenant who will take good care of this house that's been in their family for generations.
    AngelicaDem

Answer by AngelicaDem at 3:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They verify income and references only, no credit checks

~~As an individual landlord with quite a few properties~ I run credit checks.

OP, consider asking school board for you to drive them to better schools, then looking into private schools with scholarships, charter schools, and even home schooling.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• That does not make financial sense ~ why not look into private schools?
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:01 PM on Jul. 19, 2011