God wants you to (or God doesn't want you to)

I've seen this happen here and elsewhere. When someone is going through a difficult time in their marriage, job, etc., and they are mainly looking for a sounding board, or maybe advice. Inevitably someone pops up and spouts off, "God wants you to save your marriage" or "God doesn't want you to give up".

Ignoring for a moment that there's a 50/50 chance that's even the right advice (meaning the marriage may or may not be worth saving), why suggest in the first place that someone not only knows what God is thinking, but that they are authorized to speak for him? How is it not an attempt to be condescending, and suggest that the speaker knows the way and wills of said deity better than the person they're speaking to?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Anonymous

• Personally,l think the only way to know what God wants us to do is to talk to Him about it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Inevitably someone pops up and spouts off, "God wants you to save your marriage" or "God doesn't want you to give up".

I've never heard anyone say that... My mother's divorced 3 times... The only thing I ever heard people say to her was "get out now!"

Personally I don't believe the Gods give two hoots about out marriages.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I never thought of it that way but you make complete sense. No one knows what God wants or what he is thinking, even the Bible says that. It is NOT our place to tell another what God would have or wouldn't have for their life. My belief is the only way to know what God wants/doesn't want for a person is through their own personal prayer and leading.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• ha! ive never seen that response yet. Sounds like they jumped on CM to spread God's word. Unbelievable what it has come to.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 1:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• And Pharisees came up and in order to test him asked, “Is it lawful for a man to divorce his wife?” He answered them, “What did Moses command you?” They said, “Moses allowed a man to write a certificate of divorce and to send her away.” And Jesus said to them, “Because of your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment. But from the beginning of creation, ‘God made them male and female.’ ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.’ So they are no longer two but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let not man separate.”

And in the house the disciples asked him again about this matter. And he said to them, “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery against her, and if she divorces her husband and marries another, she commits adultery.”

—Mark 10:2-12
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 1:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not trying to just throw scripture at you.. just saying.. a christian that studies and believes the bible would have this as one of many things.. and also.. to americansugar.. I think that there are people that jump on CM to spread anger and judgement and criticism.. thats who they are thats what they do.. and CM is a site for all right??
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• All i can say is you would have to talk to him yourself he knows what best for your life and for everybody's marriages but thats between you and him not what anybody else tells you .
    alexia_09

Answer by alexia_09 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I want to say I did quote scripture that indicates why people would say this however I agree that every situation is different and the individual themselfves needs to really pray about it and decide what God wants for them in their situation. I get upset at how many people just give up and walk away without even trying.. but I would never tell someone THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED TO DO.. Im not the one to make that call.. I do say I feel like this is important to think about..
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sabrina- In counter to what you just said, I had NO support from friends, family, etc. when I finally left my abuser and was told exactly that.. "GOD wants you to work it out" or things like "If you were walking gods path, he (my ex) wouldn't hurt you"
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011