When do they start...

my DS turns two the end of sept. and only says a couple of words... but mumbles a lot of words then everything else is what i call "louey gibberish" i have a couple of friends with DDs and talk a lot, but i know with experience girls talk a lot sooner... can someone give me a little advice

cassncalise05

Asked by cassncalise05 at 1:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Contact your state's early intervention program (google "early intervention + [your state]"). They can evaluate him to see if there is a problem and whether he actually needs any kind of therapeutic services; or they might tell you he's fine and you have no need to worry. Regardless, you'll know for sure, and if he does need help, he can get it. It's a free service, and before the age of three, they'll usually come to your home instead of making you travel.

If you have the slightest worry, you really should get him evaluated. I know from experience that it gets harder the longer you wait.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 1:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son started talking in 2-3 word sentences around 18 months, and he'd been in speech therapy since he was 14 months old. My oldest has autism, so I got a jump on things early and called early intervention for a free developmental evaluation. They will do it if you have any concerns - if I had a concern, I wouldn't wait!

Answer by missanc at 2:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• when he says gibberish like words make him say the word by sounding it out, do not give into the words you do not understand, grunts or pointing. my oldest had a 2 yr check up and couldn't say much so the Dr tested for hearing and that was fine so she pointed me in the direction of a local program to get her evaluated. Headstart also can do an evaluation. but she did turn out to be mildly Autistic.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My son is almost 2 and he said some words but not where he should be in a normal range we have monthly visits with a PT.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 2:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He's totally fine. Boys are later. Generally, if they're not speaking by 2.5, then you should get an evaluation. It seems pretty early to get him checked out.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:10 PM on Jul. 13, 2011