What should I do about this?

I have a bit of a situation with my 17 year old daughter. Basically, she made a stupid bet with one of her best friends over something silly, lost, and now doesn't want to pay up. The forfeit for losing the bet was supposed to be like a food fight, but the loser has to wear her "best outfit" and get it messed up. It's stupid, I know, but they're young. My daughter lost of course and as you might imagine she now doesn't like the bet so much now that she is supposed to wear one of her nice outfits (dress/heels) and get messy. She wants to call it off or wear some grungy old clothes, but of course her friend thinks that is unfair. I can't disagree. Now obviously I don't really want my daughter to ruin a nice outfit that she paid for herself, but I think she needs to be taught a lesson, that she can't make bets and then expect no consequences if she loses. IMO, she agreed to it, she should go through with it. What should I say/do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i would stay out of it. it is not that serious , her life is not in danger. let her figure it out
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would tell her she made the bet and now must keep her word. I think it will teach her a valuable lesson and to think things through a bit more before agreeing. Good luck.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Just tell her anything can be cleaned! ( just no red wine and grape juice) also ask her what if her What if her friend backed out how would she feel?

Tell her how you feel than butt out!

gammie

Answer by gammie at 2:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree with gwen20. STAY OUT OF IT. It's not the serious, her life is NOT in danger, let THEM figure this one out! There is NO reason to get in the middle or involved in this one. Let it be.
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 2:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree that you should stay out of it but, if she asked you what she should do then i would tell her that it is important to Always Keep your Word & a Bet is a Bet- someone is going to Win & someone is going to Lose..

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 2:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• She needs to lay down the law - a bet is a bet, but it should not completely ruin to the point of not being able to wear it again. That would be willful destruction of personal property.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I'd stay out of it. She made her bed now let her lie in it. Consequences for her, I'd say. She will figure it all out.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would tell her my opinion, which is she made the bet, she should settle up, learn the lesson, and not say she'll do something unless she means it. I would make sure to tell her though, that this is only my opinion and she is old enough to figure this out for herself.
    kidnappedbylove

Answer by kidnappedbylove at 1:24 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• its not that serious...she made a bet and now she needs to stick to the bet she made...shrug your shoulders and forget about it...your daughter shouldn't make bets if she can't pay the piper...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 1:51 PM on Jul. 14, 2011