My kids just got kicked out of the recreation center for 6 months

for stealing money and credit cards out of people's lockers and maxing them out at the vending machine.! I actually took my step-kids to the rec. center to have them  turn in a key to one of the lockers, and to tell the truth about what they had been doing. They(rec center) had to get the cops involved, which I expected that to happen and feel that we needed to be honest and not sweep it under the rug so to speak. They got booked and released to our custody and now we receive a letter that they are kicked out of the rec for 6 months which is fine. I'm waiting to see what is going to happen next there is a detective looking into the case and trying to contact the victims. I know that it's going tobe more of a punishment on our finances then more of a consequence for them. Here at home they are grounded the whole summer...sorry but commuting felony's as minors in not okay! and we are looking into counseling although I honestly feel like it is more of them just wanting things and doing whatever they want to get it, they have said, this themselves " I just wanted it". Anyway, not really a question just needed someone to talk/vent to. Any advice would be helpful but please no bashing. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• Proud of you for being willing to take the actions and try to teach them the consequences of their actions.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• "punishment on our finances then more of a consequence for them."

If it were my kids, they would be required to work off the money, either for me or for people we know. I would not pay this off for them and let it go - it needs to be on them to actually pay it back.

Answer by missanc at 2:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• :( That really sucks! Good for you that you did the right thing even though I'm sure it was very hard for you! If you didn't take care of it now it could get MUCH worse! Hugs!
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 2:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Im so sorry this is happening in your family. But I'm soo happy that you are making your kids responsible for their actions, it's such a nice change of pace
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 2:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sorry you are having to deal with this, but honestly I'd take the children to a counselor to see if there is an underlying reason as to WHY they did this.
    Anonymous

• Don't let them get off easy with just a grounding. You need to assign them certain chores to repay however much money you end up having to repay. If it was me, they would have no tv, no video games, nothing for the summer til those debts are repaid to you. They would spend their days working. For down time, they could have books and that would be it. Let them find out what it would be like living in prison so they know if they don't straighten up that's what they can be looking forward to. Good for you for not letting them get off easy though!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• To be honest I am surprised they only got banned for 6 months. I would think they would be told to never come back. I would make them do whatever they can to pay back the money. Can they mow lawns? Have a car wash? Make them sell their things on ebay. They need to pay back this money not you.
    jcm62497

Answer by jcm62497 at 2:26 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• jcm - I know, I thought it would be a year or for good.

Thank you ladies for your support and comments and advice.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You don't have to pay their debt. It can be postponed until they are 21 and legally able to pay it themselves.
    _D_I_

Answer by _D_I_ at 2:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• How does that work D I ?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011