Sundae Bar

Every month I have a gathering of ladies, and once a year I have a "Sundae Bar" theme. I ask each lady to bring a topping, I provide the ice cream (and coffee, tea, etc), and we make big, gloppy sundaes that taste delicious.

This is my third year doing it, and every year I have the problem that the ice cream gets very, very melty (it's a 4+ hour, free-flow sort of evening).

Last night I just brought out all the ice cream at 7:30 ("official" start time was 7, not that that means much), then after about half an hour put it up and brought it all out as each person arrived, and tried to keep a pulse on when people wanted more. With 15-ish people it was kind of in-and-out all evening!

Any suggestions on a better method?

KateDinVA

Asked by KateDinVA at 2:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Scoop up big scoops ahead of time, onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Put back in the freezer. Make as many scoops as you think you'll need for the evening - and have a container of ice cream besides for just in case. As each lady arrives, or wants, or wants more, take out a scoop (or 2 or 3 if you make them smaller), place in the bowl, and keep the rest in the freezer.
    Anonymous

• Put each carton of ice cream in a bucket of ice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Or rotate containers - buy smaller ones if you have to, so you have 3 or more to serve from. Scoop out of one for 15-30 minutes, then put it back in the freezer and start in on another, and so on. Each container would then get about an hour back in the freezer, so it wouldn't melt as much.
    Anonymous