What is your degree?

And do you like it? Or was your schooling felt as a waste of time.

Sillylins

Asked by Sillylins at 2:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• I have my BA in History with my 9-12 teaching certification, and I have my Associates in Biopharmaceutical Technology. I am a SAHM so I'm not using any of it, but I don't feel it was a waste of time. I loved going to school, I love learning, and I have "use" my education to help me be a better parent. I can help my kids with their homework, and do special projects with them to expand their learning.

Answer by missanc at 2:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have an associates degree in radiology. I specialized in MRI. I love doing MRIs. I work in an outpatient clinic and have great hours. I make around $28 an hour which I think is pretty good for my area. It only took me 2 years to get my degree. I do think it is well worth it.
    carsonoliviamom

Answer by carsonoliviamom at 4:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have a BBA in Business Analysis/Management Information Systems and an MS in Information Systems. I can't say that I enjoyed every single class, but I did enjoy many of them and the overall experience. I feel like I learned more in graduate school that is useful to my career, but that is, at least, partially because I already had 11 years of experience working in my career before starting graduate school and it was much easier to see where classroom concepts could be applied in real life.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 3:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have a BA in Education, and state teaching certification. No, it was not a waste of time, for I love my field.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 3:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am working on a BS in Dietetics and plan to get an MA in Education. I know a few people who've already completed the degree and internship and are very happy wokring as Dietitians. They make decent money and are happy, so I don't feel like it's a waste of time at all.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 4:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• don't have one....can't afford school....no time etc....
    oregonduck

Answer by oregonduck at 2:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• total waste of time. went for medical transcription and the need for it like they say isn't so. anytime that i tried to find a job in that field they would want someone with more than 2yrs experience.... so i was like...how am i supposed to get the experience if u don't HIRE ME!!! lol money down the drain!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 2:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have a BS in Mathematics and an MBA in Operations Management.

I didn't care a lot for school during my undergraduate, but I use a lot of what I learned as an analyst now. I did my MBA years later and really enjoyed it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 2:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I have three AAS degrees (Accounting, Computer Programming and Criminal Justice) and one certificate (Business Administration).

Schooling is NEVER a waste of time. I would go back now if I had the money and finish my BS in Criminal Justice. I love attending college and truly miss going. It doesn't matter to me if I ever use the degrees. It's fun getting them.

The only one I haven't really used is my CJ degree and that's only because family life takes precedence. I have used the others several times since earning them.

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I started out with Associate Degrees in General Studies (haha, I know), and Electrology. My first Bachelor's is in Human Resources, my second is in Special Education, and now I am in for my MBA in Finance.

On one hand, I do feel like I spent a lot of time in school to find out that I don't like the work itself, but on the other hand, all have provided me with a fair income and job stability. If I can't find work in one arena, I have options. I really enjoy teaching, but when I go back to it, it will be at a college level.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 3:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011