Should parents lose custody of super-obese kids?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/should-parents-lose-custody-of-super-obese-kids-2510149/

"Ludwig said he starting thinking about the issue after a 90-pound 3-year-old girl came to his obesity clinic several years ago. Her parents had physical disabilities, little money and difficulty controlling her weight. Last year, at age 12, she weighed 400 pounds and had developed diabetes, cholesterol problems, high blood pressure and sleep apnea."

OMGOSH! This is crazy! What's even crazier is a 90 lb 3 year old! My gosh, my dd is 4 and only weights 33 lbs.

What do you ladies think? Do you agree with this or not? I'm on the fence.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 2:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• No. I don't agree with that.

BUT, I wouldn't be against social services becoming invloved in extreme cases, to support the family's learning of healthy eating and work toward being closer to a healthy weight range.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 3:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I just think they need to have some type of program to help parents learn and teach they're children how to eat healthier and live an active life style. Maybe the parents had parents who never taught them and it's a vicious cycle so...they need to have resources for the parents as well as the children. Maybe even offer free camps to these children where they have nutritionist, counselors, and other professionals to help teach and motivate the kids.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 3:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't believe kids get that big because parents don't know that veggies and fruits are better for them than french fries and chicken nuggets. I think it's largely that they don't care, or don't care enough, to feed their kids right.
    I don't know what the answer is, but I do feel sorry for the kids that they are being saddled with obesity before they are too young to make decisions for themselves.

Answer by missanc at 3:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I do not agree that the government take over the parenting of our children and make decisions on how a person should raise their child. If this were to happen it would be a stepping stone to take more and more away from our individual rights. I want to raise my kids my way, not the way anyone else would require me to.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 3:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Unless the parents are force feeding their children and abusing them, then there is no reason for anyone to take their kids away.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 3:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Remove them from their home and put them where? A foster home or Gov. run boarding school of some kind? What would be the next thing some Dr. or parenting "expert" decided was super bad so the child needed to be removed & the parents taught/trained in the "right, healthy, correct" way to raise their kids. Open that door & all kinds of things will creep in before you're able to shut it again, if ever.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No, I dont think the child should be taken away....if that were the case it should be ok for the state to take away children that are under weight.
    I do think they should have to meet with a nutritionist and be given memberships to their local gym with personal trainers once a week.
    momand4kids

Answer by momand4kids at 3:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I got thinking about another aspect of over-weight kids. Some, probably not a large number, are over-weight due to medications they MUST take. If medications are the cause, it doesn't seem that changes or improvements in diet would really make that much difference. I can see where there would be some problems with parents being blamed for providing poor nutrition & Dr.s claiming it just couldn't be the medication, & it seems like that could be difficult to prove Since medications affect different people in different ways, what may cause one person to gain weight, won't cause another to.
    meriana

Answer by meriana at 3:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No.

Ok, should I elaborate? No even a morbidly obese toddler should not be removed form his or her parents. Yes, a doctor should be able to refer a family to a nutritionist for counseling but foster care and removing (even temporarily) parental rights is going too far.

ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i would think it depends on the reason why the child is obese. my brother's ex wife has a grand child who is obese. at 4 years old he weighed 120 lbs. he could not climb up and down the steps to my house. the boy's mom feeds him whatever he wants, for example for a meal he would have a large fully loaded pizza and a whole bag/package of cookies. to me that is sick, the boy is now 8 and weighs closer to 200 lbs and the mom wont feed him the fight foods in the right amounts. she should lose her kids. her other 2 are also obese for the same reason.

now if the child has some other issue that isnt parent induced then no they shouldnt be taken away. my sil 8 dd weighs 115 but its not because of diet, my sil is a health freak, sil is also a big woman, again not diet induced.
    GypsyMoon605

Answer by GypsyMoon605 at 4:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011