Redbox vs Netflix?

In September, Netflix will start to charge streaming movies and dvd's via the mail at separate rates, increasing the total cost. Not only do I HATE the new way that Netflix now shows movies available, they scroll across the screen, which makes me have vertigo, they also show tons of movies I click "not interested" over and over again. Netflix now offers close captioning on selected streaming movies, but to add it to a SILENT MOVIE, was just dumb. I have never used the Redbox, but there is one .2 of a mile from my home, I can get on my little bike and rent and bring it back without using any gasoline. What are the pluses and minuses of Redbox? Are the movies you want there when you get there? Are they in safe locations? What happens if you get a dvd that won't play or is broken, or you get the wrong dvd in the process? How high are the fees for being late returning the dvd, or is a flat rate.
This is my last form of paid entertainment, and I guess I will just go back to the boob-tube tv set. I watch TCM and the news and that is it. I do not watch tv series or sports.
Thanks.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Entertainment

• I will continue to use Netflix.....we've had friends end up being charged FULL DVD price by Redbox even after the movie was returned before it was due back. And FULL DVD price was $40.00 a movie and more........one friend ended up having to cancel their card after they were charged over $200 by redbox for movies they didn't have out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The only thing we use is the streaming feature on Netflix, and rarely ever use Redbox. If we want to see a new release, we go to Hastings and rent them -- since you have to wait 28 days with Redbox. The Redbox's here don't really have many new releases, and they are generally always out.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 3:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You can look at what movies are available on the computer at home and reserve them before you go pick them up. There is a fairly small selection at each box and often the movie my kids want is not there. We use Redbox frequently and have never gotten one that was damaged or the wrong dvd. The fee is $1/night, so if you watch it and return before 9 pm the next night, it's only $1. But each additional night you have it, the fee goes up by $1.

Answer by missanc at 3:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I rent from Redbox. Only a dollar to rent and if you forget to return it is only a dollar a day but don't lose it b/c you get charged 20 som dollars I believe. There has been times when I went to return my DVD and the box is full so it won't take it but if you call redbox and let them know they won't charge you another dollar. They have given me 2 or 3 codes to go towards free movies. You are allowed to return the DVD's to any Redbox so the movie you have been wanting to watch might not be at that Redbox. You can also go online and reserve a movie you want and go pick it up. I've used it once. I just wait until it is available. We rent from a city that has a Redbox in Wal-Mart & Meijer and return them in another town closer by and it is at McDonald's. I'm happy with Redbox. We don't watch much movies so Redbox is cheaper for us. I hate the monthly fees so I have no interest in Netflix. Also, Blockbuster have those machines too
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 3:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• They charge the same as Redbox I believe. Just give it a try. I think you will like them.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 3:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• We use Netflix for streaming and Redbox for new releases.
    Simplicity3

Answer by Simplicity3 at 3:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Netflix!
    LCG83

Answer by LCG83 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I use both because I don't have cable. Netflix doesn't have new releases right away but Redbox does. I think I am cancelling the DVD part of Netflix and just using the stream part.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You can reserve a movie online for Redbox - before you ride your bike up.

And you can return to any Redbox (which is good for us, because I am forever getting free 1-night rental from Redbox at Kroger, but hate driving all the way back over to return; we can return to the one at Walgreens right up the street from us).

We used to watch more movies free on demand or get my SIL to get them from Netflix for us, but overall our movie appetite is just shrinking, I think.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am cancelling my subscription. I can wait until it hits cable.
    dvanessam

Answer by dvanessam at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2011