Night terrors?

Sometimes my son wakes up and flips out and then just goes back to sleep. I have read about night terrors and it says they sit up right and maybe scream. But he gets out of bed and walks or rolls around and screams no!no! Today he started beating the couch. So is it intense night terrors or something else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• sounds like night terrors. If they occur on a schedule, you can interrupt them by waking him before the next one. If they are random, I believe all you can do is ride them out.
    Mom2Just1Kiddo

Answer by Mom2Just1Kiddo at 3:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• night terrors are THE most intense thing i have ever witnessed! I have 1 child out of 4 that had them, it was horrific! I would comfort him and he would just unconsolable, he didn't recognize me and he would hit, kick, thrash and scream like he was terrified and finally after about 30mins - 1 hr, he would calm down. I think he was 2 when he did it. They say rapid brain growth has something to do with it.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Try making sure he goes to the bathroom before bed- that helped my son a little. He had night terrors so bad he would get violent and sometimes hurt me if I tried to help him or wake him up. My pediatrician suggested making sure he used the bathroom right before bed and it did help some.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Could be. The doctor told us just to not wake a child during the night terrors. Make sure he doesn't watch tv or video games that are violent. I'd also make sure no one is harming him when you are away from him.
    Anonymous

• My boys do that from time to time... I just always, without waking them up, cradle them in my arms or lay next to them and say in their ear that "mommy is here, you are safe, and no one or anything is going to hurt you..." and I would keep reassuring them that, and my boys usually start calming down... If they don't I slowly and calmly wake them up and tell them...
    SwEeTnSoUr4

Answer by SwEeTnSoUr4 at 5:42 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• my son had random ones and when i asked about it theres not much to do i was told not to awke them up from them so i would console him even tho he would scream for me but never acknowledged i was right there the whole time..they are scary
    aydensmommy0712

Answer by aydensmommy0712 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 15, 2011

• Making sure that they are getting enough sleep on a very set schedule can help. One of my friends sons was helped by taking melatonin, but I would ask your Doctor about it first, it can interact with other things.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 4:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2011