Should obese children be taken out of their homes and put in foster homes? See link below...

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1052253097001/should-parents-of-obese-kids-lose-custody/

tspillane

Asked by tspillane at 4:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• No i just think that their parents should be watched and monitored to make sure they are feeding them when they need to instead of feed them when they cry or whine. I definetly don't agree with children being obese. I hate to say that, but it is so true.
    pregers2011

Answer by pregers2011 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't think obese children need to be pulled out of their homes to br be placed with foster parents UNLESS the parents of the obese children agree. With all due respect to the parents of obese children I think what it is needed is a therapist or nutritionist to work with the family.
    Cafemomoftwo217

Answer by Cafemomoftwo217 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• That seems a little extreme but some sort of intervention needs to happen especially if its the parents feeding them ding dongs and hohos every time they whine or scream. I understand that sometimes there are medical conditions where it just cant be helped to be over weight, but in most cases its the parents. I see at the grocery store a really heavy woman and then I see her kids....proportionally heavy and you have to wonder why that junk is in the cart.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Maybe the parents should have to take some classes on nutrition. Sometimes it's just that they need education about these things, and what obesity means for their children, now, and in the future. I think taking the kids away from their parents is a little extreme.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 4:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No, the whole family needs counseling and education..........spend the money the foster parents would get on those things.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 4:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think that parents needs to limit things like videos, tv and videos games. People need education in good nutrition and access to nutritious foods. Parents also need to learn to be parents and not give into every whine for candy or the latest video game. As a whole this nation needs to get up and become more active physically and active in how our food is produced and distributed. We need to go after the societal norms that taught us that chicken nuggets, boxed mac and cheese and hot dogs are nutritious.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 4:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No obviously not. It is not the states job to dictate the way we raise our kids, and that includes how we feed them. If they start there then when does it stop? Are they going to take them from you for somethihg else?
    What needs to be done is nutrition classes in elementary, middle and HS like they offer sex ed, it should also be a requirement to learn proper nutrition and how to maintain a healthy life. It might not help the generation we have today, but it would for all the others coming down the pike.

Answer by gemgem at 4:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No the trauma of being removed and placed with strangers is not the answer and who knows the trauma of it could trigger emotional eating in some kids making them bigger. Foster care is not the answer the answer is getting a ban on MSG and other chemicals in our food and kids getting outside more.

MSG is what makes us fat because it is a neuro toxin and it tells our brain to eat more that is why your chips and fast food is tasty and you want more of it. Thanks to good ole MSG
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 5:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I personally think it is child abuse. Young kids having type 2 diabetes, heart issues and other health problems due to their parents poor diet choices is very wrong. If a parent didn't feed their child they would lose their kids I don't see why they should keep them if they overfeed them both are very wrong and kill kids.
    Anonymous

• No, that is extreme. Maybe if the organic and healthy food wasn't so expensive then some parents could feed their kids better but the truth is that healthier foods are more expensive and most of us have a budget that we have to stick with. And educating some people would help also, some people do not realize how bad somethings are for you.
    LiLJeni

Answer by LiLJeni at 6:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011