When do I know its time to switch my son from a crib to toddler bed?

mamaAmanda898

Asked by mamaAmanda898 at 8:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We got our kids a twin mattress and box spring and put them on the floor when the kids were 18 months. idk if we were being cheap not going to a toddler bed in between, but they seemed to do fine in the twin size and can use it for many more years.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I switched my son at about 18 months
    RyleeMendez

Answer by RyleeMendez at 8:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The biggest thing is to decide if he can handle the freedom. Most kids can't until 3 or later. Parents move the child because of one climbing out scare or because they think they have to at a certain age and end up in months and months of "back to bed" battles. A toddler who has always been confined will not see any boundaries around his bed. He will, reasonably, think "that toy is just right over there, if I can see it, it must be ok to get it." He will not respect the "stay in bed" rule.
    Most parents will tell you to move a child once they can climb out. But most baby books don't give that advice. They point out that many kids scare themselves and don't try again. If a child won't be detered, then he does need to be moved or a way needs to be found to keep him in the crib - like a crib tent.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The safest place for a toddler is a crib. The weight limit on cribs is quite high (50+ pounds) and there is no harm in leaving a child in a crib until he outgrows it.
    The second best place is a low bed in a room empty of toys, books, climbing hazards, and with a lock on the outside of the door. Did you hear about the 4 year old who went toy shopping by himself at 2am? Do you want yours doing the same? Or ask a fireman how many dead children have been found hiding in closets and cupboards. Lock your child in his room so you know where he is.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• 18 to 2 years is about right. All kids are differnt. I wouldnt suggest a toddler bed. They are a waste of money........
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I'm going to have to move mine sometime around 18-20 months to a toddler bed, because she probably has a sibling on the way who will be using that crib! I feel it's going to be too early. I'd wait longer if I could. Maybe 3 or so? I got my toddler bed on Craig's List for $40- if you can get one for a good deal I think they're a good thing to have. Has rails and all.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• we were having another baby when she was 19 months old so she needed to be in a regular bed (we didnt do the toddler bed) and use to it by the time the baby came. i watched her sleep and i waited until i saw that she wasnt all over the place anymore. if she could sleep lying one way in her crib by 17 months she was in her bed. she fell out maybe a total of 3 times and shes now 24 months. we didnt use the side rails either. we put pillows next to the bed to break her fall and to cover the metal frame so she wouldnt hurt herself.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 11:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• When do YOU want to make the switch? You can do it whenever you want.

We switched to a regular bed at 15 months.

kaycee14 mentioned weight limits on cribs...there is a height limit, too. It's usually around 35".

If you feel you want him out of the crib, then do it. Put up the regular bed (I agree with the poster who said toddler beds were a waste of money...but they do save on space if needed) and take down the crib. (out of sight, out of mind)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:14 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• cadence was in a toddler bed at 1 yr. she was trying to climb out of her crib. we put the toddler bed up with the rails and she never tried to climb over, she would stay in there till we came to get her. finally we took one side down and she figured out she can get out on her own...safely.LOL. she woke up one sunday morning, we heard her door creeek open...we jumped up(we didnt know she could get in and out yet) and she looks at us and goes..."Dada?Mama?? HEY!!!!!" and goes into the living room to watch TV. it was awesome. but yea..babbling. when they wont try to climb over or roll out. :)
    sabinam

Answer by sabinam at 8:12 PM on Dec. 18, 2008