Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Anyone have any idea of what legal steps need to be taken if my stepson wants to come live with me and his dad?

My stepson is 14 and currently lives with his mom, in a different county. She is engaged and is in process of moving to another state. My stepson does not want to go he wants to come live with us instead. He would be starting 9th grade, but would be going to school in a totally different county. How do we deal with custody issues? Child support issues?Where do I even start?

Answer Question

Asked by carrlc123 at 4:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 1 (3 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Is the mother OK with it?
    You would start with a call to the county courthouse, where ever the original child custody orders were made, and request a change, as well as calling the office that handles the child support.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 4:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Is there an order currently in place? If not, let him stay there all the time. There is nothing saying the bio mom has anymore rights than the father. At 14 a judge will place high value on what he wants. But do get a lawyer. A little piece of advice, and the mistakes I've made as the new wife and step mom, (not that you would, but many do) keep your mouth shut when it comes to court and the bio mom, let dad deal with her. Give him unconditional support. If the bio mom is "crazy", she will cause problems, run her mouth, etc., etc,

    Answer by yesmaam at 4:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Ask mom first. Maybe she would agree. If not you get to hire a family law attorney and file for custody and go through the courts. It is lengthy and very costly.

    Answer by gemgem at 4:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • I agree with yesmaam, if there isn't a court order in place for custody you can just keep him and file and order. If there is an order your Husband can contest her moving out of state and file for full custody, most times when the child is older they will let the child make the decision(as long as both parents are fit).


    Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • I agree, speak to a lawyer and contest to bm moving out of state. I know for my ss court order, bm can't move more then 3 counties away or she will be in contempt. Every state/county is different so it is best to seek advice from someone who knows the laws of your area.

    Answer by sunsetbeach81 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

  • Get an attorney and see what can be done in your state. She can NOT move him out of state without the father's permission. But, talking to the attorney will get you the most accurate information for your state.

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.