A Qualifying for headstart...

Some may think I am dumb for asking this but I need some help. My dh is in the Army. He is an E4. I have to bring in last years taxes and his les for proof of income for Headstart. My husband got a 20,000 dollar bonus. He got 10,000 up front (6900 after taxes) in September 2009. Then he got 5000 (3250 I think after taxes)in March of 2010. That was his 1 year mark in the Army. He got 5000 again this year also. But he will not recieve anymore money from his bonus.

He made 25,085 last year (5000 being his bonus) and the limit for headstart is 22500. Will they use the bonus as part of income? Becuase we would qualify without it and we will qualify next year becuase we will not get it.

Didn't know what catergory to pick.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Money & Work

• What state are you applying for? I am sure, that if you explain the situation to them just like this, you will qualify. And also, they wont turn you away for making to much money... they may try to charge you something for this school year, but probably not. I work for Head Start in Oregon :) Good luck... I am sure it will be fine. Bonuses are different than regular income. :)
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 4:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If it is PAY, you count it, Basic Pay, Special Duty Pay, Hazard Pay, etc.
    If it is an allowance, you don't count it, BAH, BAS, clothing allowance, etc.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Income is income - that's what I've always been told. Do they do a sliding scale fee?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Whatever is the amount on the W2 is what they are going to use.. I made 17 thousand and my daughter couldnt go bc they said that was too much.
    Anonymous

• Well, this stinks. I don't know if we can afford preschool. I know she can go next year. Which to me seems stupid...
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:19 PM on Jul. 13, 2011