If you are an Atheist,what books do you recommend on Atheism? adult content

Asked by AngiDas at 5:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• If you need a book to be an atheist, then it would seem to me that you are putting atheism into a religious catagory.

Answer by Carpy at 5:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The God Delusion, The Christian Delusion, The Fallacy of Fine Tuning; Why the Universe is NOT Designed, Terror in the Mind Of God, The Evolution of God, As One Is; To Free the Mind From all Conditioning.

That's a good start ; )

Answer by clarity333 at 7:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Umm I really don't know. I never needed a book to tell me how NOT to believe in a diety.

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Well, books can be good to explain where many atheists are coming from on why they are atheist.

Christopher Hitchens is my favorite famous atheist.

Answer by Blue_Spiral at 9:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Atheism doesn't really require a handbook. It's a lack of belief. A skepticism. But when you read about atheists' experiences, it helps to put yours into a certain context. "Godless" by Dan Barker tells of his journey from being an evangelical preacher to becoming the atheist head of the Freedom from Religion Foundation. "The Born again Skeptics guide to the Bible" by Ruth Hurmence Green describes how the bible REALLY treats women (i.e. VERY BADLY) and points out holes in the supposedly perfect, divine-inspired book. "The book your church doesn't want you to read." edited by Tim Leedom is the one that helped me the most on my journey. It compares other world myths to the christian myths and includes quotes from other atheists that help you to understand their position. I would recommend any one of these.

Answer by witchqueen at 9:37 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• i agree with WQ and Blue Spiral as well. It's been a long week. Any of the books recommended are good if you want some insights on why people become atheist.

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:43 PM on Jul. 14, 2011

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 5:48 PM on Jul. 14, 2011