My son wont stop crying!

My son has been acting up lately and I am not sure what to do. He is only 4 months so it is hard to figure it out. Lately, he has been having an attachment issue where any time I walk away from him he starts screaming (this goes with DH too)! I was trying to break it by not giving him attention every time he cries but last night he cried and screamed for an hour straight. I even started giving him extra food so he would be happier but that only works for such a short period of time. When I am near him he is all laughs and smiles so I dont think anything is wrong health wise.

Help! Is there something I can be doing at this young of age?

1LuckyMama33

Asked by 1LuckyMama33 at 5:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• talk to his doctor
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 5:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Not giving him attention makes it worse. I had the same problem with my son. He needs security. He may be fearing that if you walk away, you will not return. Try putting him in front of a tv... or give him a real snack before nap time (If you have one for him)
    TwinsRcoming

Answer by TwinsRcoming at 5:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Mom, he is 4 months old he needs to feel reassured, he has been around a short time, he needs to smell you and touch you as he did for 9 months, please tend to him when he cries....this is the only way he has to let you know something is not right whether it is fear or not feeling well. Since you can't tell for sure what ails him just love him.............

Answer by older at 5:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You're right. He's going through an attachment phase. All babies do this. If you want to make him feel more secure and still be away from him, you need to start in baby steps (pun intended :). Don't pick him up sometimes but stay a few feet away. Then gradually increase the distance to maybe being in the same room on the other side of the room. Sometimes leave the room and come back in a couple mins. He will learn that you're not really gone just because you're not in the room. It could take a few months so be patient. If you're always running to pick him up, he becomes a bit too dependent. I did this with a friend's baby recently since she had the same problem and now the baby doesn't cry anymore away from the mom. Retraining the mom to not run to the baby's side is another issue still in progress.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 5:53 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• at 4 months when he crys, its for a reason... so soryr, I know its hard this age not knowing what is the matter, could be a growth spurt, bad tummy, ear infection, start of teething.. its so hard to know but don't just let him cry, this coming from a mom with a son who was colic so I know its frustating.. hugs
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• He needs to feel the closeness to his mommy. It is normal. It gets better. Just love him and cuddle him while it lasts. It will change and you will miss it.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 5:59 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Don't let him cry! He's too young. I let my 2 year old cry, but that's because he understands that he's done something wrong, or if I leave him to take a nap, he KNOWS I'll be back when he's awake. Your baby doesn't understand that. I know you need to get things done, but do what the PP said, take baby steps. If he starts crying because you've put him down, maybe don't pick him back up, but kiss him or sit next to him while talking to him. Then once he's okay with that, maybe bring some laundry to fold and do it a few feet away while still talking or singing to him. Just little by little help him.
    ours

Answer by ours at 6:29 PM on Jul. 13, 2011