Is ADD/ADHD often just a coverup for bad parenting?

Carpy

Asked by Carpy at 5:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I hate this post already. I have Adhd and my DH has it.. diagnosed AS Adults and it FINALLY Makes sense why things have been SO hard - our son has a 90% GENETICALLY of having this also.. he's only 3 now so we don't know. but NO.. I don't think its a cover up for lazy/bad parenting..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Half the time, yes.
    Anonymous

• I realize that there are people who legitimately have ADD/ADHD, but I also know of many people who use medicine instead of discipline to parent their children.
    JeanetteRene

Answer by JeanetteRene at 6:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Are schizophrenia, Down Syndrome and autism also the result of bad parenting? Inferior or geriatric genes? Since I am a not a licensed mental health professional, I'll leave the diagnosing to the folks with the credentials to accurately do the task.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sometimes, but not always. My dh has ADHD, and at 30 it has nothing to do w/ his parents though.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Sometimes. I think it's over used. My husband is a special education director and he thinks too many kids are being diagnosed, just to satisfy parent's wishes
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 6:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I believe for some it is. My step brothers were diagnosed with ADHD but when my mom and their dad got custody they took them off sugar, caffiene and the crap diet they were on and it helped tremendously. They also were consistant with discipline. The boys after a couple months were mellow and doing well in school. The judge only allowed their mother supervised visitation since she would give them crap so they were wild when they got home. They are adults now and very mellow guys. Good parenting, good nutrition and being away from their crazy mom helped them so much.
    Anonymous

• No, My oldest son, who will be 19 the 31st, was said to have it. I had his 2nd grade teacher monitor him with meetings with the counselor, etc. She even told me that if I didn't do something then, he would grow up to be a troubled teen. My son was non stop, always on the go and to me, that was how he was suppose to be, he was a KID!! I never did drug him, he just graduated, is a GREAT young man that is well respected. He was even the speaker at his baccalaureate. One teacher even wanted to test him for gifted because he could pass a test and never study and answer her correctly every time he was asked a pop question.He hated school, would do his work and then was ready to play. He was just a hyper kid who's mind was always on the go, I refused to drug my kid so he would just sit there like zombie. You just had to work harder when dealing with him. I have 4 kids and only had this issue with ONE. Would be all if bad parenting
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• So if children are out of control and unable to be educated in a typical classroom, and various techniques and approaches have been tried and failed...what is the next step beyond medication? I was schooled in the early 60s by Irish Catholic nuns and even they could not get some kids to settle and do their work..succeed. Who wants to set their kid up for failure? I would do whatever I had to do to get behaviors in line so that my kid could succeed. I would imagine that long term failure is not real good for self-esteem. Physical and Psychological abuse are no better than medication, IMO-

What is a "bad" parent?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• like anything there is real adhd kids and ones that just wont behave . my son is hyper but nursery wont use that word as that what the use for bad kids now! my sons now bad at all . there the same problem with dyslexia there people like me who really are dyslexic and people who are a little slow or lazy who are disposed who are not dyslexic . nothing anyos me more when someone tell me " oh i have dyslexia my teacher gave me a test and said i was " i have been deionised by 3 doctors ! teacher cant diagnose you just tell you you MAY HAVE something

i should add dyslexic and adhd are interlinked condishons

Anonymous