How does this work? UGH!

My husband invited a friend for dinner tonight. I didn't find out until after midnight last night because I wasn't home when he made the invite. So he has known all day tat this friend is coming and has done nothing to get ready for him.
I had to take a kid for a checkup and make cards for his mother, so I have been busy. He has done nothing and even right now he is messing around on his comp and watching tv. This is his friend, i don't even like the guy.
Ugh! I guess I have to get things going.

I really feel like kicking him! Why can't he take the initiative for once?

Can anyone relate?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 5:57 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I cant say that i completely relate, but Id definately be showing my hubby some attitude about my dislike for his actions... and he wouldnt be playing on the computer, because I would flop down next to him until he started to help me get things going! Good Luck!
    kgrine

Answer by kgrine at 6:01 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If it's his friend and you don't even like him, why do you feel the need to get the house ready for him? If your husband wants the house to be clean then it may take a few days of the house looking dirty for him to wake up and realize he's got to do it. Don't enable his behavior by doing it for him. How will he learn? If he says something about it to you, just say, "well had I been made aware of this earlier, I probably could have helped you get ready for your friend's visit" and leave it at that and move on. It's important for you to say "helped you get ready for your friend's visit" so that you assign the responsibility to him and so he doesn't shovel the responsibility onto you.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would be kicking my husbands butt for that. He would be doing the cleaning for sure. Sorry hun but men can be a pain. :-) Try to make the best of it.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• That's when I reach for the Chinese food takeout menu! Unless it's his boss or someone you feel like you need to impress don't sweat making a good impression. Pour yourself some wine and hand your husband the phone and the takeout menu!

wheelsonthebus3

Answer by wheelsonthebus3 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would be taking my kids and going out to dinner. I would let hubby worry about making dinner for his friend that he doesn't seem to feel that he needs to help with.
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 6:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• For once...let him figure it out when his friend arrives...he will never so that to you again. My DH is close to perfect but not quite,lol...he did this too me a few times and the 3rd time....I had an errand to run that couldn't be helped. He never did that to me again. I always get notice now. Plenty. It cured the problem because I put his own problem on him. Be brave. Just do it.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:04 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• correction , I meant "do that to you again".
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 7:05 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I can completely relate and I would tell him that since he couldn't have the decency to have told with a little more time to prepare then he can fix food and whatever or order in and that you don't have the time to prepare dinner; or just do nothing and let him figure out what to do when his friend arrives. If it was me and my husband pulled this he wouldn't be walking straight for a month; he knows better then to pull this on me; he tried a couple of times and found out what the consequences were. Or if you just don't want to be there take the kids and go shopping; or something and be gone long enough that he has to do everything and don't take your cellphone or leave it off if you have it with you. Good luck and God bless
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 17, 2011