Are we not encouraging others/ourselves to be the best we can be? As mothers....

I agree nobody can be perfect, but when I read articles that tell me don't worry about vacuuming or that all the dishes are done, I feel like it's an excuse not to strive for being the best person you can be....
Does anyone else feel this way? It just makes me feel like there's nothing to strive for....Not sure if this question make sense...just wanted to bounce it off a few people.
Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:06 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think that if the dishes sit and the vacuuming waits then it isn't the end of the world if I am taking the time to spend with my child.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I strive for happy healthy children. A load of unfolded, but clean, towels sitting in a basket can wait while I interact with my kids.
    Anonymous

• I have better and more rewarding things to strive for than housework.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think the point isn't to not try your best, but to not stress over things. Added stress causes health issues which aren't good for you or your children. It's more like do your best, but if your best isn't perfect, don't worry about it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Are we talking about parenting of newborns and toddlers? The reason that is mentioned in articles is because alot of women are used to being completely on top of everything. Their homes are spotless, bills paid, nails done, exercise in . . . THEN baby comes, and there just are not enough hours of the day to do things like scrub the grout in the shower with a toothbrush for hours. So, overacheivers get extremely anxious, because they just aren't used to letting anything go. This anxiety gets in the way of being an available mommy. But, the most important thing about being a new mommy is exactly that . .. being a new mommy. That bond takes number one, even behind hubby. The best new mommy that there can be is a new mommy who is adequately addressing baby. Believe me, when the kids get older there is OOdles of time to work and clean!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I agree sabrina
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• An other words: Don't sweat the small stuff! Live Laugh and LOVE ❤
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 6:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I guess I shouldn't have just used the example with housework. I mean in every aspect of our lives.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Well, the idea of those articles is not that you should not strive to be your best, but that you should not be stressed out if you cannot do everything. I just don't have time for a lot of the hobbies and outside activities that I did before I had kids. Does that mean I gave them all up? No, I do them less often and only the things that are truly important to me. Does it mean that the house is always spot less? Nope and six weeks on bed rest after I had my third taught me that I may want to do everything, but I would also like to be alive to see those kids grow up.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 7:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2011