What are some ways to keep a 10 year old entertained in the summer?

My daughter isn't really into going to day camp. I take her to the boys and girls club and while it's cheap and she gets to do activities all day long, she complains about it.

what are some other ways you keep your tweens entertained? Something not expensive..

amysaves

Asked by amysaves at 6:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• We have a really nice park close by that has a nice lake to walk around and the park has water that comes up from the ground they love to play in. We also have a mall close by that has Terrific Kid Tuesday's where they have a bounce house, face painting and an animal show...plus some libraries I have seen are having a movie and pop corn day for kids...all this is FREE...check with your local areas and see if anyone has stuff like this for kids. Movie theaters also offer cheap deals, one close by offers $1 movies and one offers a movie, drink, pop corn for $3...of course it's not a new release, but cheap and fun. Some home things we do are outside picnics, pedicure day where I fix up the foot bath and let them soak their feet. I have a 10 year old son who even loves this, lol...
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• ask her :-)
    Reading books is GREAT! Not only can she be highly entertained by all that can be found in a book, its great educationally. Here our library has a reading program. Read 10 books get a prize. If she doesnt enjoy reading -- I'd ask why, so many kids these days are not being taught how to read properly & are poor readers & no one knows it ~ so they dont like to read since even at 16 - 21 its still a chore to read a paragraph.

Check your museums & anything else in your area. Many have "free days" ... Our Childrens Museum in houston is free every wed/thurs (cant remember right now which day)

Kids vary greatly by what can interest them. she could have learned to garden over the summer (how rewarding to have food u have grown on the table!) or learn to bake & give it to a homeless shelter.. Find ways she can grow as a person - (cont. below)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• she can volunteer at a Retirement home where she will bring joy to those in there last days & she will learn SO MUCH from them as well...
    She can take up a class/begin a craft she enjoys. Sewing? Crochet? Scrap booking?

A book (really its a big list) I am reading right now is 1001 your kids should see & do: (or else they'll never leave home)... Really awesome!!! You may be able to get some ideas out of it!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• raking, weeding, washing the car, cleaning her room. lol
    mubbie

Answer by mubbie at 6:47 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• volunteering is a great idea! i will look into that. she loves animals, so we might volunteer at the shelter.

i guess what i was looking for is more of a program she can go to while i'm at work.
    amysaves

Comment by amysaves (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• How about check up at the school she attends and see if they need any assistance (i.e. the teachers or office) setting up classroom bulletin boards, making copies, cutting out letters and such. I know that was always one thing my mom (who just retired this past year as a teacher for 30 years) was always busy with.

Melindakc

Answer by Melindakc at 4:10 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• I didn't read the replies but does your school have a summer recreation program? other then that all I can think of is arts and crafts type of stuff or learn to bake..if your have AC of course
    alotleft2do

Answer by alotleft2do at 8:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2011

• boys and girls club has a great summer program. some craft stores have classes you can check out like making things.
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 8:29 AM on Jul. 24, 2011

• yep, boys and girls club is great! thanks for all your suggestions!
    amysaves

Comment by amysaves (original poster) at 11:19 AM on Jul. 25, 2011