Is it crazy to be over 40 and go back to school with a loan?

Is it worth putting yourself into debt like that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in

• i assume that you do not currently hold a degree from a college? if not, go for it. it is okay to be able to be self-sufficient should something happen to change your current life status.
    mubbie

Answer by mubbie at 6:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• YES!! I am and my mom did it at 55. An education is never a waste.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would suggest looking at community colleges for cheaper tuition. For a 2 year degree, the school's reputation doesn't really matter that much. I would think about your natural skills (people person, like to help people, or good with numbers? etc) and any hobbies you have to point you in the right career path. Some schools offer scholarships or subsidized tuition for nursing programs. A psychology degree is flexible enough to go into healthcare administration or business management. Test yourself with 2 courses and see how it goes from there.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 10:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would say it depends on how long your going to be in school for and how much your taking out. If your working and can pay back student loans while your going to school then I would say yes it's worth it. Maybe talk to a financial advisor at your school and they could probably work out all the details and give you an idea of how long it will take to pay back, depending on how much you put towards it :) GL!
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 6:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I would say no its not crazy, but I would look into carefully what the job opporunities and job market ourlook is for your chosen degree field. You don't want to spend all that money on a degree thats going to be hard to use later on because there are no jobs.

Can i ask what you are planning on studying?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No it's not crazy. Try for grants as well. Depending on what you are wanting to study, think about a 2-yr college first. You can get the first two years out of the way at a MUCH cheaper cost than all four years at a university.

Congrats for wanting to go back to school. TWO THUMBS WAY UP!!
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Oh yeah, I agree with Spirited. I found out too late that I could have taken all my General credit classes at our college of technology(2 yr) for half the price and then transferred over to the main campus for the rest. So you should check into that and see.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 6:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No, it is not crazy!!! Go for it!!! I know several people who have or are doing this in their 40's. If you can afford it and have the time...do it...you deserve to be happy and reach any goals you have in your life.
    luvmy4kidsinAL

Answer by luvmy4kidsinAL at 6:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am still lost on what I want to do...I just know that my husband may not be able to do what he does forever. I really am antsy about going back to work and having some credibility so i can make livable income. Having all the options in the world makes it really hard to decide. I took a test on the fafsa website and it matched me with my personality and interests. I would be good in nursing, family services, or administrative assisting, The first school I looked at matched me with Medical Office Management which was like $33,000. Just seems like an insane amount. Other schools were asking about $13,000 Administrative Assistant type jobs..with a 2 yr program which seems more reasonable.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011