Why is food getting so expensive???

I went to the store today and the produce was outragious! over $2 a lb for apples but 2 weeks ago they were 99 cents a lb. and it's summer time and all the other fruit was ridiculous in price...I thought prices for produce were down during the whole summer not just until the 4th of July seems like since then everything has doubled

wheresthewayout

Asked by wheresthewayout at 6:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I know what you mean. The bare minimum of groceries cost a lot.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• shop somewhere else? bulk food stores maybe?
    mubbie

Answer by mubbie at 6:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I know. It's terrible. It is partially because of the high gas prices . . .it just costs more to transport them. Utilities have also gone up, and the grocery stores are having to pay more to refridgerate.

Boo!

I think it is going to get worse, too. People are predicting a pretty gnarly inflationary period, and it will take a few yeares for salaries to readjust up.

Hang onto the reigns!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I know what you're saying. Bacon has doubled in price here. I refuse to buy it at 5.00 a pkg. So we've switched to chicken bacon. Try buying some other fruits that are on sale. Blueberries are only 1.50 per pint right now and dang strawberries have gone up to 3.99. So, I switch around. Milk too has gone up.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 6:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• the nearest bulk store is 90 miles away, lol I do hate the fact that I don't live in a metro area ... when I drive 300 miles to visit friends and family i stock up at Aldi's on the way home, that place is wonderful and their store brand tastes better to
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Because of the price of the gas. It costs more to ship so the costs are passed on to us, the consumer.

Also you have the weather ... beef prices are likely going up because of the drought going on in places like Texas according to the news this morning.

And then there's the economy and we all know what kind of shape it's in.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 6:42 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I don't pay much attention to the price of beef, I buy that from a local farmer which is nice because it is cheaper and healthier , but the price of chicken is crazy
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 6:48 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you have stores like Aldis and Save Alots where you are from go there.Or try Walmart
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• those types of stores are hundreds of miles away but I go shopping there when I'm near them
    wheresthewayout

Comment by wheresthewayout (original poster) at 9:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Pleas let the government know that. There has been no cost of living raise in Social Security for the past 2 years, they say the cost of living has not risen.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:39 PM on Jul. 13, 2011