Why do i feel ashamed and unworthy to be put on medication?

i recently got the nerve to ask for help with an agency so i can be put on something for my nerves. In the past year, i began having real bad panic and anxiety attacks and didn't know i was actually having the attacks. i just thought it was my nerves due to my stress level with my son. but now they are getting worse and i blackout and snap! at my evaluation, i was ashamed of what was coming out of my mouth about my son and our relationship. i suffer from panic and anxiety attacks and depression, low self esteem, adhd, and mood disorder. why is this happening to me? i feel like i can't even take care of myself, 2 girls and a son with the same problems!

MommaFossil

Asked by MommaFossil at 6:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Health

• Honestly probably because you need the medication. When you need it and your not on it yet.. your brain feeds you all kinds of false info
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 6:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Anxiety is ugly, as is depression. Don't be ashamed, mama. There isn't always an explanation, it's often just the luck of the draw. However, you ARE worthy of treatment, as are your kids. You NEED to get treatment, and you need to STAY on treatments, even if you are feeling better (likely due to the treatment). It will help you feel more even-keeled, and help you manage stress better. Therapy might help you with stress management and coping techniques as well. Good luck mama!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You should not be ashamed of having to ask for help momma. You sound like you need it so reach out and get it. I know how you feel. I felt the same way when I finally broke down and went on meds for my anxiety and bipolar. They do me a world of good so please know you are doing what you need to so you can be a better parent. If it takes meds to do that then take them. I am here if you ever need to chat...friend me if you need to. Take care of yourself.
    zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 6:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Oh mama, that sounds chemical to me. Make sure to keep the doc posted on your mood, too. I think you probably need a med for that, as well.

You will probably fell a million times better after that stuff has been in your system for a few weeks.

Good luck! I am so happy you went to the doc!
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 6:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• you will be ok mumma just keep up with your med and take the right dose.. its depression stress you are probley going though a lot right now and you need some time for yourself dont get to the point were your about to snap take a breather and calm down dont pannic stay calm try not to let things get to you take care and all the best
    Lisa_7777

Answer by Lisa_7777 at 6:46 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• No need to feel this way if medication is what is going to make you feel better then so be it, you are taking care of yourself, hugs!!!!

Answer by older at 6:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Exercise caution, but do talk out your situations honestly with a professional.
    bellejesse

Answer by bellejesse at 7:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You do not feel worthy because you have depression. The disease eats at you and makes you feel like you are not worth much of anything. That is how people get so bad people do not think they are worth getting help so they don't and the disease gets worse. You are worth it and you and your kids deserve to have you getting help.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 8:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• mental health stuff always makes ppl feel ashamed. try to think of it this way...if your leg was broken, wouldnt you get a cast? if your heart was sick wouldnt you take the meds to make it better? its the same thing for your anxiety & depression.

i know how hard it is to take that first step...to admit that you arent in control of your own thoughts & body. panic attacks are extremely scary & i use to (still do when im super stressed) think the most awful things about myself. anxiety gets better with help (be it therapy and/or meds). and dont feel bad about what you say during the evaluations...the doctors have hear it all before!!

but do it for your kids, do it for your health, but most of all do it b/c you deserve it!!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 6:42 PM on Jul. 14, 2011