Rivalry between 4 yr old...Need advice

My dd and her neice are the same age. They beg constantly to come over or for her to go over there to play. The begging starts the second they wake up.

Well, the problem is they do not get along. Within 2 minutes (no exaggerating) they are bickering over toys. DD wants the toy she has and vice versa. They aggitate each other and it's constant crying. Yesterday the neice told my dd that the heart she drew was the ugliest ever. DD starts crying, of course. I try to explain to her that her words were hurtful and her response was, "Well, it's the truth". Ugh!

We've tried reasoning with them, time outs and nothing seems to work. These two girls want to be together all the time but they refuse to get along. Any suggestions or advice on how to teach these girls to share and be nice to one another? Oh and they are not like this with any other kids, either. I'm thinking they need a break. DH says I need to keep working with them.

texasgurl33

Asked by texasgurl33 at 6:49 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Sounds to me like the old phrase "Familiarity breeds contempt" fits here. Give the girls a break from each other and only let them play together 1-2 times a week.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2011