Induction :(

So at my OB appointment last week, my doc told me that if my baby girl doesn't make her appearance by next Tuesday... we will need to scheduled an induction. So far, everything in the pregnancy has been going PERFECTLY. Her due date is the 17th. I am not familiar with induction really. And I guess I do not know why we would induce, or even talk about it so early. Baby is small, and I have had zero complications. A friend of mine told me that if you have an induction, then your risk of having an emergency C-section sky rockets. She said everyone she knows that was induced had a c-section. Why is this? This highly stresses me out. As I DO NOT want a c-section. For many reasons. Im feeling really discouraged that my body is not doing what it is supposed to. Any ideas on how to help baby move along? Or suggestions/information about induction? Thank you.

Tarrar

Asked by Tarrar at 6:54 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• There is no gray area here, it is a proven scientific fact that being induced greatly increases the risk of a c-section, especially if it's your first baby. But that's not all. It also increases the risk of complications for both you and your baby. The reason a c-section is usually performed after an induction is because your body was not ready for labor and it takes much longer to dilate and efface. Once they break your water, the baby needs to come out within 24 hours because there is a higher risk of infection if you go any longer. ANY surgical procedure that can be avoided should be. There is no medical reason for you to be induced and it sounds like your Mother's intuition is already kicking in to protect her. Please tell your concerns to your Dr. He may have to reschedule his golf outing, but your baby's health is much more important than that. Good luck!
    PTmomma3

Answer by PTmomma3 at 8:16 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I had my daughter at 42w 2d NOT induced and she came perfectly! There is NO reason to feel like your body isnt doing what its supposed to. NORMAL is up to 42 weeks!!!
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• An induction is one of the best ways you can guarantee a c-section. Pitocin, the drug they use to induce labor, is not approved for that use by the FDA and is actually very dangerous and makes labor VERY painful for the baby.

Here's how you get around it: You tell your doctor "no". There is NO reason a baby has to born before 42 weeks WHAT-SO-EVER and he's likely trying to induce you because he has an engagement planned after the 17th or he's an idiot who doesn't stay up to date on medical science -- either way, you have a shitty OB. I was a high risk pregnancy and even my doctor knew that my pregnancy was ticking along normally and I gave birth at 41 weeks and 2 days. You have until AUGUST 31 to even ALLOW your doctor to begin to discuss induction. And he CANNOT force you to do otherwise. It's not his baby.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 7:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If there is not a sound medical reason, you should refuse. You do not have to do what the doctor says. Informed Consent is the law.

And suspected big baby, being 'overdue', or failure to progress, are not sound reasons. Becareful because I have seen OBs send women to the hosp "just to check" and then end up with an induction and a c-section.
    joyful_mama

Answer by joyful_mama at 9:45 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• have sex. it helps induce naturally.
    theladyluna

Answer by theladyluna at 10:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Your friend is right. Talk to your doctor. Tell him you want to wait until the baby comes naturally, unless there is a reason you don't know about.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Ask your doctor why he wants you to be induced. YES being induces raises your risk of c-section especially if this is your first baby. Doctors sometimes don't want to wait for whatever reason and that is not fair to the baby. If you doctor doesn't have a good reason for induction then tell him no and continue with your life.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Inductions do have a high chance of resulting in Csection, but they don't have to. I'd strongly strongly suggest waiting until baby is AT LEAST a week past due, preferably closer to 2 weeks overdue. Babies know when they are ready to come out. Every day in the womb better prepares them for life outside. I was induced with my second and I wouldn't do it again.
    hill_star03

Answer by hill_star03 at 7:07 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Is it considered induction if they give you pitocin because labor isnt progressing but you went into labor naturally first? If so then I had no complications what so ever. I also had a friend who was induced and she delivered vaginally. I would ask your doctor why he/she wants to induce so early. If there isnt a medical reason, you have no complications and you are not comfortable with being induced right now then ask if you can hold off. Just because he/she wants to schedule an induction does not mean that it will be that day. They might schedule it for a week later which still gives you time. I was scheduled to be induced a week and a half after my due date because my body wasnt doing what it was suppose to and my daughter was born a few days before I suppose to be induced. I went into labor on my own. You still have time, ask your doctor why and see if you can hold off.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I had to be induced with both of my pregnancies and I didn't have a c-section with either one. With my second one I was carrying twins and had a scheduled induction. I delivered both my girls vaginally and there never was a risk for a c-section. I'm sorry, but I don't believe anybody that says that being induced automatically means that you are going to have a c-section or have greater chances for one. If you have an open dialogue with your OB about what you want for your pregnancy and they are telling you about any complications that your baby may have(depending on size, high-risk, etc), then you should have nothing to worry about. Communication is key. I was lucky enough to have two wonderful OBs for my pregnancies that I completely trusted, because they were honest with me and I was honest with them. Please talk to your doctor and good luck!
    HistoryPixie

Answer by HistoryPixie at 9:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011