How do I treat my six year old son's bleeding nostril?

Gabriel and his younger brother, Michael, were horsing around. Michael bumped into Gabriel and Gabriel accidentally shoved his finger up his own nostril. It was bleeding, but I think I got it to stop. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Chickadee

Asked by Chickadee at 8:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• if it stopped it should be ok. just tell him to keep his finger out of ther since its fragile now.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• He should be fine. Just don't put a finger or anything up there, and I'd also tell him to be very careful with blowing his nose for a day or two. My son gets bloody noses from time to time, and if he blows too hard within 24 to 48 hrs of a bloody nose, he'll make it bleed again.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 8:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Thank you for your answers, ladies! :-) I've got him on the couch pinching his nose. I'm just worried that when he goes to bed, it'll bleed down the back of his throat. Can it do that even after it has stopped bleeding?
    Chickadee

Answer by Chickadee at 8:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• i think when it stops bleeding it just stops bleeding, but if it does start up again, more likely it will flow out of his nose to the side or he would be on his side. When i get a bloody nose, i swallow mine till it stops.
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 8:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Ew, don't swallow it. :) THat can make your stomach upset.

Just have him upright or leaning forward, so it's not draining down his throat, and plug it with a tissue until it clots. There's really nothing else you can do that the above ladies haven't mentioned, such as telling him not to blow his nose hard or picking it.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 10:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008