I'm so upset (kinda long)

So in a nutshell my mother and my father's family don't really get along. Haven't in years.. My mom lives away and my dad has one sister up there who is okay with her. They go by each other and are very friendly. Of course they aren't best friends but I thought the past was settled between them. I live in the caribbean in a apartment upstairs. My father and his parents live downstairs. We all get along. Recently my mother stated that she is no longer well and would like to come back home. There is another apartment on the property that has renters and my father offered her it at a lower rent that she can afford. She was really looking forward to it and my dad said he was okay with it, he just had to pass it by my aunt who lives away (the same one who is friends with my mom) I thought it would be fine only to hear that my aunt doesn't want my mother living there so now I have to tell my mom and I feel really bad. I think my aunt is being unfair and not even giving it a chance even though we have explained to her that my mother can not afford another place because rent in this country is really high. The rift between them was like 12 years ago and now everyone gets along, but my aunt thinks it will be to uncomfortable for my grandparents and that my mom should get somewhere else. Would you be upset??

gutterflower585

Asked by gutterflower585 at 6:58 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I'm not sure I understand- your question is kind of mixed up. But it's important to try to be peaceful with people, and if they don't want to be with you, then they have a problem.
    bellejesse

Answer by bellejesse at 7:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Your aunt is being a bitch.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 7:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My question is why if my mom and my aunt and my mom get along up there why is she so against my mom coming to live here? I thought the past was buried..
    gutterflower585

Comment by gutterflower585 (original poster) at 7:14 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Apparently your aunt still harbors some resentment. It's sad that she doesn't see how this keeps the cycle going. I would see if maybe you can arrange for both of them to talk face to face and convince your aunt to give her a chance. I would propose a conditional period whereby if things don't work out in 6 months, your mom will look for a new place. Your aunt may not want her there longterm but perhaps needs to see that it will work out. Your mom is asking for a favor so it would be wise for her to make an effort to win over the aunt somehow. I would also point out that it's safer to rent to family since you know them and they won't mess up the place vs. renting to someone else.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:40 PM on Jul. 13, 2011