My 14 year old with irregular periods.

I have a 14 year old that will go a couple of months without her period. I am going to take her to the dr to find out what is going on but I have been reading that they might put her on the pill to get them regulated. Are there other ways to fix this problem or is the pill our best option? I know the best person to ask is the dr and I plan to but I am wanting other ideas from some of you that have been where my daughter is at.

zoomomto3

Asked by zoomomto3 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Health

• My niece had the same problem. She would go for months or she would have it every other week. My sister did not take her to a gyno, but did discuss it with the family doctor. She said that the only way to regulate it is with the pill. My sister opted to just have my niece deal with it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:15 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The doc will tell you your options. But, if the hormones are wacky, they only way to regulate them is with hormones.

But, there are plenty of teen athletes who do not or seldom menstruate . . . they just don't have the fat percentage to do it . . . . so it could just be a temporary thing until she gets a little older.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:17 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I am think of that option tooo layh. Thanks. I hate the thought of putting my 14 yo on the pill. She isn't sexually active AT ALL so...
    zoomomto3

Comment by zoomomto3 (original poster) at 7:18 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It could be stress and diet. I remember having this when I was younger as well as my other sisters and it wasn't a regular thing but usually happened around stressful times (like exams). Not having sufficient iron could also be the problem. Make sure they get a lot of greens full of folic acid and iron. We never got diagnosed with anything and it became regular again once we took better care of ourselves.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 7:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i have never had a regular period. i was put on the pill and it made it sicker than when i was pregnant so i didn't take the pill very long. i know afew people who have put their girls on the pill at an early age and they grew up to where the pill has no effect on them what so ever.i still don't have a regular period and i'll be 33 this year. you know whats really funny? i was just about to post this same topic!
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Do NOT put her on the pill!!! That only masks symptoms, it does not treat the underlying cause. Usually girls and women with that symptom have PCOS or endometriosis, both can be treated with diet and exercise, herbal supplements (like Royal Bee Jelly and Vitex) and progesterone cream. I was put on the pill at a young age like that for cysts and painful periods, and all it did is mask symptoms, and not even all that well. I've had three different doctors, one an infertility doctor, tell me that those years on the pill messed me up more than if I would have gone untreated.

My suggestion is to take her to a reproductive endocrinologist. They are far more knowledgeable about stuff like that than an OB or GYN. They deal more with the hormones behind the issue rather than just masking symptoms.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 7:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• when I was that age, I as well had very irregular periods, as well as very painful and heavy periods. I would sometimes have to miss a day or two of school because of it. It was horrible. Once my mom took me to the doc, they discovered that ONE of my problems was that during my periods I was having small cysts in my ovaries POP. Hence all the pain. I was put on the pill, and I felt like it saved my life. Not only did it regulate my period, it made it so much less heavy and painful :) And, instead of lasting 9-12 days, it only lasted 3-5. yay! I dont see anything wrong with going on the pill. It made my life so much happier! And I have never had any problems with the pill either.
    Tarrar

Answer by Tarrar at 7:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Mine were horribly irregular but by the time I hit 16 they were regular.
    DDWay

Answer by DDWay at 7:56 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I wouldn't be in a huge rush to regulate them. It is likely a hormone issue, and those tend to stabilize themselves with time. Most doctors tell you not to expect periods to become regular for a couple years once they start.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 8:12 PM on Jul. 13, 2011