Has this ever happened to you?

My 3 yo got into my car and put it into nuetral. -i didn't know he had gotten out. - and my five yr old yells mumma the cars moving! So i race outside and whiped the door open and ripped up the e brake... thankfully no one got hurt-except me, but has anyone ever had this happen or know someone that it's happened too? I mean had a kid get into a car and hav the car start moving?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in General Parenting

• OMG! Thank goodness you made it in time. Oh, I've had my 2 year old lock himself in the car WITH the keys. Aye, aye, aye! i was two seconds fro breaking the window, when he smiled and pressed the unlock button.
    ImaginationMama

Answer by ImaginationMama at 7:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Omg! Yes, once at a baby shower we were all sitting outside with our kids and family...not quite sure how it happened, but some of the kids got into my mom's car to get something and before we know it the car was rolling back wards we all jumped up and there was a lot of yelling and screaming and some of us just froze...but the car wrecked into a fence and stopped on it's own. No one was hurt thank God just a little shook up and scared and there was really no damage to the vehicle or fence.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 7:41 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yes...absolutely frightening. First hubs and I were sight seeing in the mountains of CA. Both children in the car. We pulled over at one of those lookout spots and just stepped out to look over. One of the children (this was years before carseat laws) climbed over the seat and kicked the shifter....i heard the car move, turned around, hubs turned around and literally jumped through the window and stopped the car.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Nope - we've always had vehicles that require the vehicle to be running & the foot brake to be applie before it will come out of park. Even our oldest vehicles (1998 & 2001) had it.
    Anonymous

• LoL these are funny, but of course only because no one got hurt and it didn't happen to me. I've never had this happen, but when we had an automatic my son was able to start the car and could have easily shifted into gear, luckily we were right there.

Now I'm glad that I have a manual that is newer so he can't start the car unless he is able to put the clutch down, but the rolling could still happen to me.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:51 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think that it happens a lot more than we know. When my younger cousin was about 4, he got out of the house and went into the garage and started the car. He got it into drive and knocked the garage off its foundation, before his mother got to him! Not that he had a bad mother, sometimes kids slip out. My little cousin always was a handful though! Thankfully, no one was hurt. You are not alone!
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 7:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• yeah my husband left my two 1/2 year old in his running truck to close a gate my son got out of his car seat and put it in drive/neutral and the car when forward and pinned my husband to the gate. Luckily, no one was hurt.
    nonni2

Answer by nonni2 at 9:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• my little brother did it to my mom
    My2boys0523

Answer by My2boys0523 at 10:33 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• i guess it does happen more often than i thought... Although these stories are kinda funny it is really scary- we live at the top of a BIG hill. And he was going straight back until i grabbed the wheel... My three year old loved it the whole time. Thank you all though who told your stories... I was feeling like a bad mom for a bit there... All i can say is that this was one scare that will NEVER happen again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2011