Why is it that preachers call children born out of wedlock bastard babies?

The kids can't help what their parents did. Why should we condemn them for their parents mistakes? How many of the preachers were on their way before their parents were married?

KallaLilli

Asked by KallaLilli at 8:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• Because the preacher is holier than thou. It is not OK to call any child that name. Yes there is a legitimate meaning to the word but it is used derogatory.

Maybe he should get back on his knees and ask his "god" to give him some tact.
    mom2angelz

Answer by mom2angelz at 11:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I have never heard a preacher say that, but its wrong. My BF's grandma callled my son an abomination at the hospital.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 8:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• The first definition of bastard is an illegitimate child. Any child who is born to a woman not married to its father is a bastard.
    Anonymous

• Bastard wasn't a "bad" word once upon a time.

But seeing as how my daughter is going to be born "out of wedlock", I take GREAT offense to the word bastard. It's very archaic, I don't think it should be used anymore whatsoever.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Should not be used to refer to a child, just like a lot of other words that began "innocently enough".
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 8:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• the work Bastard simply means With Out Father. Once upon a time it was a real NO-NO to have sex out of wedlock and was cause for death in many countries (still is in some). They are not nessesarily blaiming the child but the child is seen as a product of an unholy union. It is just like thinking that a child concieved durring a rape is going to be a bad kid... Not every one feels that way but those high up in the church usually look for every little thing they can to proove someone wrong.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:44 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• well, the definition of Bastard is "an illegitimate child" according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary.

I see nothing wrong with using a word if it is used in the correct context with it's definition.
    Anonymous

• In the 60's they coined the term "Love Child".
    It sounds so much nicer, I wish more people used that term these days.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 8:48 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• indigostone - yes that has the same meaning. I see nothing wrong with using either term, as I said bastard does mean child born out of wedlock. but yes you are right "Love Child" does have a better sound to it.
    Anonymous

• I'm a bastard. So's my brother, lol. I don't take offense. That is the correct usage of the word. My parents weren't married when we were born. Words only have as much power and meaning as you give them.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2008