How do you get your husband to quit being so sloppy?

Sometimes I feel like I am cleaning up behind a middle schooler. He leaves dishes laying around... clothes in the floor... ugh........ I have talked with him and it gets better, but ever since I have been pregnant it seems like he feels like he can slack bc I have been. I am a neat freak and feel like he should be helping me out until I can return to my normal self.

jenni_j

Asked by jenni_j at 7:50 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Relationships

• I had to train my husband to be less of a slob, too. To do this, I told him that I am not his personal maid and since he isn't the one cleaning the house, he needs to respect me and police his own stuff. I told him that I would only tell him twice to put his things away, but after that I would just toss them out. After losing a few of his favorite things, he learned to put his stuff away.

Dishes and such are another issue, of course, because I won't toss those, but I am not above letting every dish in the house get dirty, then hiding the paper plates and using those for myself until he learns to put his dirty dishes in the dishwasher & runs it. If he would put his dirty dishes in the dishwasher, I'm happy to run it & put them away, but to leave them im the sink, which is only 6 inches from the dishwasher, is beyond lazy.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:20 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• If you figure out the answer to this question you will make millions by writing a book! lol. Take all the stuff you pick up behind him and lay it on his side of the bed. End of the day, he will do something with it. :)
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 8:00 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I started picking up EVERYTHING and putting it all I a garbage bag together. It took him a couple days to figure it out and things were gross in the bag. He quickly got better with cleaning up things.
    KristinRox

Answer by KristinRox at 10:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I think it would fill up to my side. haha
    jenni_j

Comment by jenni_j (original poster) at 8:03 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Mine is just sloppy in the way he dresses, and I it is still a work in progress. He throws on old shirts and athletic shorts even when we got out!! UGH!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:11 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• OMG I KNOW!! Why put it in the sink when the dishwasher is its neighbor! I am glad someone else thinks like that... if you can put it in the sink then why not just put it in the dishwasher??
    jenni_j

Comment by jenni_j (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Just stop cleaning up after him
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• I've been trying for 38 years, if you find an effective method, pm me, please.
    elasmimi

Answer by elasmimi at 9:37 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• fryshannon34 NO WAY... My house would look disgusting. NOT gonna happen.
    jenni_j

Comment by jenni_j (original poster) at 9:44 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• You're going to have to be firm with him. Explain to him that you physically are not feeling well due to pregnancy and that the laziness is unacceptable
    AllThatBabyJazz

Answer by AllThatBabyJazz at 12:09 AM on Jul. 14, 2011