Is it true that its up to the guy sperm on which the gender would be?

my coworker was telling me that its totally up to the guys side to determine the gender of the baby..she said that if he has more sisters/aunts it will be a girl or if he has more brothers/uncles it will be a boy...is this true? because my coworker isnt the brightest out of the bunch and Im a newbie on this pregnancy thing. thanks in advance

1_love_2_hearts

Asked by 1_love_2_hearts at 8:21 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Pregnancy

• While it is true that the sperm determines the sex of a baby. The aunt and uncle thing is not true.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:22 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• The sisters, aunts, brothers and uncles are not important in this result.
    But it is the man's sperm that determines the sex. The woman contributes an X and the man contributes either a X or a Y. If he gives an X, it is a girl. If he gives a Y, it is a boy.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 8:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• tootoobusy is absolutely 100% right. There are no girls on my DH's side of the family & we just had a baby girl!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• men make the same amount of x and y sperm and yes the sperm decides the sex of the baby how ever there is some school of thought that male sperm swims faster and dies sooner and girl sperm swim slower but lives longer so when you have sex in your cycle can also be a factor in the result

feralkitten

Answer by feralkitten at 8:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My husband has 3 brothers and we have 3 (bio) daughters. Yes, it is the man's sperm that decides the sex of the baby.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:32 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Yup, his sperm carries that gene. So when my DH keeps telling me he wants a boy, I keep telling him that it's his sperms fault if we don't have one.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:34 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Absolutely true that the sperm decides the sex of the baby. The type and amount of males vs females in a family has no bearing on the potential offspring.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:38 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• yep
    vgaines

Answer by vgaines at 10:27 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Womens eggs are X guaranteed and the man either provides an X or a Y thus determining the sex of the baby. That being said the number of males or females on his side of the family has NOTHING to do with your odds of having a particular sex.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:43 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Same here husband has 3 brothers and we are on our 3rd girl!
    lillysmama2008

Answer by lillysmama2008 at 3:39 PM on Jul. 14, 2011