Why is my son playing with himself?

so gross! almost like he is masterbating! he is only 4y/o! omg ! he ped says it is natural! GROSS!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jul. 13, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Because he can... Most children start to discover those things much earlier than 4... It's normal & natural - not gross!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• embarrassedIt is normal. He is discovering himself and it feels good. LOL. It only gets worse.

zoomomto3

Answer by zoomomto3 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Because he is discovering that part of his body, and even though he is young is still feels good.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Please don't make him feel like it's gross. It is normal and healthy for girls and boys to explore. If you make it bad, then it can affect their self image.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 8:28 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Tell him to shut the door cuz that's only for him not anyone else. You should even ask permission before you clean body parts. Kids should know that their privates are PRIVATE!
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 8:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Because it feels good. There's nothing gross about it but you should probably teach him that it's a private thing to do in private.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:31 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• My 4 year old son does the same thing. but he is always doing it! He walks around just holding it. is it normal to be doing it all the time?
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 8:55 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• It is natural. Just explain to him that is is something private, and he is to only do it in his room, or in the bathroom. Never at grandma's or school! You should try it yourself! Sounds like you are a little uptight...
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 9:08 PM on Jul. 13, 2011

• Its totally normal. When my daughter was "self discovering" I explained that its ok for her to do it but she has to do it in her room, that she can not do it in front of people because its not something for others to see. When she starts in front of us or in the living room I remind her about our talk and she either stops or goes to her room. By the way she is only 4. Its not gross, its human nature. I know it may be gross to think of your child playing with himself but would you rather not talk to him about it and he does in public.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 12:38 AM on Jul. 14, 2011

• im with all the other moms. hell my two year old found his i found that out a couple of mornings ago. i woke up and he was sittin there in the bed his diaper open just goin to town and i said what are you doin and he smiled at me like hehehehhe. seriously though it is normal to do this. if you make a big huge deal out of it by saying it is gross or bad you will scar him for hte rest of his life. no one should ever make a child feel awkward about stuff like this. do you want yur son hiding in closets and doing it because mommy said it was wrong and bad. or worse u have seen psycho right. hello norman bates much. unless he's like thirteen and chronically does it i think everything will be all right.
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 8:52 AM on Jul. 14, 2011