Obama's Economist want him to spend $1 Trilllion Dollars over 2 years in Government Programs(PLUS costs for Iraq and Afganistan), what are your thoughts?

After consulting with economists from across the political spectrum, President-elect Barack Obama's advisers are contemplating an economic recovery plan that could cost as much as $1 trillion over two years. The figure is far bigger than the $600 billion that Obama's team initially envisioned. A number of economists, including former advisers to Republican presidential candidate John McCain, have suggested to Obama's team that the economy needs a much bigger cash infusion, possibly up to a $1 trillion over two years.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Obama's team has been spending the past several weeks reviewing economic data and consulting with experts to arrive at a dollar figure considered large enough to turn around the sinking economy. Many economists agree that an infusion of government spending is critical to get out of a recession.
    A stimulus package that approaches $1 trillion, however, could run into significant Republican opposition in Congress. It also could cause heartburn for moderate and conservative Democratic lawmakers, known as Blue Dogs, who are budget hawks and loathe large budget deficits.
    Obama has said he wants Congress to assemble a recovery package that includes massive spending on highway and bridge repairs and maintenance, new and upgraded schools, energy-efficient government buildings and a host of new environmentally friendly technologies.
    Anonymous

• Obama better get his chit straight!
    Anonymous

• I think we are starting to sound more like an Austen Powers Movie and less like the United STATES of American. Goodness...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• America, Pardon me...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• I think it's great. And I wasn't exactly an Obama supporter in the beginning either. This money is supposed to be used to refuel the economy, all of the things stated above will mean more JOBS. I think it's about time that our tax money is spent on something worth while.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2008

• Ok, but the American dollar is already worth nearly 30% less that what it was 2 years ago. If the value of the dollar drops too much, we could have deflation or worse, a depression...
    Anonymous

• Well, I've known for years that my great-grandchildren would live in a second rate country that was the laughing stock of the world. Now I guess the time table will be sped up to my daughter's generation.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:18 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• I think the Bush administration left this country in a disgusting mess that is going to be very expensive to fix.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:40 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• This mess isn't the fault of any one administration, but a culmination of years and years of focusing on the wrong things. Americans (and other western countries) want everything right now, earned or not. This causes huge amounts of debt - not just the mortgages everyone talks about - but credit card and consumer debt. It's a house of cards, and it's coming down. The U.S. is already hugely indebted, and now it's going to be even more indebted. You can't be a superpower, when your superpowers are owned by others - China anyone? Obama must be seen to be doing something - and something that hands out money like candy in order to match the Dem party line. But, that debt will cripple the country for years to come.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on Dec. 18, 2008

• Why does nobody ask where this money is coming from? Are the feds cultivating it?
    Anonymous